Username: Password:

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2418 times)

Offline zzzman

• View Profile
« on: January 29, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been playing for over 40 years and am a fingerpicker for sure.  Just joined this forum and just purchased a new Washburn today. My wife wanted to go south today to a resturant that she likes and to intice me to go she had found a new guitar store to visit. Anyway, I did not tell her that I already new about that store and wanted to go and try a SW Blueridge there. Well after playing most of the higher end ones I eyed a new(just put up on the wall that day)WD 11S and was so impressed that I walked out with it. I have 5 accoustics now from a Taylor 710ce to an old Conn F20 that I got for christmas in 1973. This new WD has such a great voice for the $. It even has a bone nut and saddle. It is the first cedar top guitar that I have owned. Usually, I find cedar to be a bit more dark that spruce but I don't know, this one just spoke to me. It has bronze med. strings now. I tend to like med. light 80-20 so I might try them soon. If anyone has any other thoughts on strings or the guitar I would be interested in hearing about them.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave R.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
Hey Dave, welcome. Funny I was just playing a WD11s today, I liked the sound, loved the cedar, and really like the price.

As for strings, its a touchy subject here at times, just because the question has been asked to death.
I use D'addario lights, always have. I try others but always seem to go right back.

Cheers
Magoo

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »
Nice Dave.....glad your wife supports your music.....very luck so givve her a hug.

I finger pick too......the only way to play.....but nobdy asked me.

The heavy the guage of strings the more tension it takes to pull up to standard pitch.....takes more energy to set them in motion and more pressure to finger.  The string will sound bigger.  If going to a higher tension than the guitar currently uses the truss rod may need adjusting to compensate the greater tension on the neck.

I always like lite gauge with a wound third......they sound nice when playing chords and are easy to finger....for me the better sound from easier playing is more of an advantage from the higher tension string.

But I'm inclined to use a similar guage the manufacter put on the guitar.

Anywho...........use what works best for you.......you're the boss........keep playing and welcome .......  I've admired some Taylor guitars before.......have a friend with carbon fiber guitar and was amazed with the fingering and sound......one of my guitars has a cedar top......nice.....love the smell too.........best wishes...janeguitar.com

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:15:02 AM »
Hi Dave, congrats on your new Washburn! My fav's right now are Martin Acoustic SP phosphor bronze lights...

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
Congrats on the purchase!

My faves atm are D'Addario Bronze Lights on my guitars, except one where I like mediums.

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Actually after using the sources on this Forum I am using GHS true Mediums 13 17 24 32 42 56  they are a good compromise for louder and still not a lot of string tension,good for finger picking and are phosphor bronze. I think John Pearse makes something similar in 80-20s has anybody bulk ordered from euphonon you can buy 12 strings for 3 dollars and design your own set and try different materials I actually put Martin 80-20s on My D26S and was surprised at how close it sounds to my D60S with Phosphor Bronze, the Cedar top made it, the D26S, warmer but almost dull.
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline zzzman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Thanks for welcome and info on the strings. I am going to try some John Pearse Phospher bronze and also D'Addario PB both in lights. I use JP 80-20 meds. on  just about everything else except the martin I like Martin SP 80-20 bronze lights in .012-.054. Those strings sound great on that git but with my artritis in my hands, it's getting a little harder to play cleanly. As for my new Washburn, I cannot say enough how much I like this guitar. This thing came out of the box with an almost perfect setup. From action at the 12th fret to third. I have looked it over and over and over. The fit and finish is excelent for any guitar under 1K. I cannot believe how little this one cost.  I am really loving the sound of cedar. Like I said before, I an a fingerpicker (but that doesn't mean that I cannot flatpick) and in the past I wouldn't have looked once at a $XXX guitar, but now I find myself looking for other Washburns. Oh, by the way, at the store where I got this WD11S they had a Taylor 910 Cindy. My brother has a Cindy and this one sounded everybit as good as his, I'm sure I could have talked my wife into the Cindy and was playing it when the kid suggested the Washburn. I gave him a kind of look, then put the Cindy up and played the WD11S. Well you know what happend. I actully went there to check out a Mohag. Blueridge, which I did not care for(no depth, not much presence). Anyway I think Washburn hit it out of the park on this one, I don't know, maybe all the stars were lined up or the planets were in synq or the Chinese factory is producing some fine guitars. I can't wait to tape  up the headstock and let some of my friends play it and see their reaction. For those who are intrested, it has a 42.65mm nut. I am looking forward see how much it opens up after time.

Dave