Username: Password:

Author Topic: Seeking opinions re: new offering from Washburn  (Read 3839 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Seeking opinions re: new offering from Washburn
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
I find myself in the market for a new campfire guitar.  Having played classical guitars (most of which have cedar soundboards rather than spruce) for most of my life, I am intrigued by this model:

http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/wd10-series/Page-2.html

I like the solid-wood cedar soundboard, the bone nut and saddle, the scalloped bracing, and the mini jumbo style, which I assume is as large as a dreadnought, but has slope shoulders like Epiphone's AJ (Advanced Jumbo) line. I have WAAAY too many dreads already [xx(] .

Jon at FunkyMonkey has made me an offer that is VERY HARD to refuse, so I am asking if anyone on the forum has had any contact with this model in particular and can offer an opinion based on hands-on experience. If so, I'd sure like to hear about it [:D] .

Hoping to hear back from y'all!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:21 PM »
Hey Dugly, new member ZZZman just posted about one in this section under new member.
he may help.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by magoo99

Hey Dugly, new member ZZZman just posted about one in this section under new member.
he may help.

Thanks, Magoo.....he posted about the WD model (dreadnought), not the WMJ (mini jumbo) model.  I'd suppose the sonic signature could be quite similar, but the different body shape might yield a different sound character as much as the different tonewoods. I have cedar/rosewood and redwood/rosewood guitars, but no cedar or redwood/mahogany.

Actually, I was hoping to get some personal impressions regarding playability.  Nick informs me the nut width is 43mm (about 1 3/4), which is pretty close to a couple of my guits and might be OK, but I'll definitely be doing more fingerstyle than pick work with this guit and was curious regarding response to varying left/right hand techniques. I have no idea what the nut width is on the WD model that zzzman mentioned, but he did mention he was using it for fingerstyle.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »
Hi............I don't have an opinion....but wonder why so much cedar?  Half of my guitars are spruce.....but then I only have two guitars.......janeguitar.com

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:12 AM »
I've owned two spruce topped classical guitars...neither of them was as expressive as any of my cedar/redwood topped classical guitars.  My Yamaha G231-II classical, for which I paid only $80, is much more responsive than any of my more expensive spruce topped guitars.

My two redwood topped guitars (the Breedlove and the Hippner) seem to embody the advantages of both cedar and spruce....the responsive/expressive nature of cedar, and the ability to withstand vigorous right hand pressure without overdriving, like spruce. It's just that I do so little that is vigorous, prefering the complexity of fingerstyle.  Cedar/rosewood is my favorite tonewood combination so far...my Masterbilt and my Washburn C124SW both have this tonewood combination....however, I must admit I am somewhat concerned about the combination of cedar and mahogany (I find mahogany to be a bit woody for my tastes). I do realize my Yamaha is a cedar/mahogany piece, but the Washburn I'm considering is a steel-string guit...

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:46:19 AM by YerDugliness »

Offline datninjajohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
Hey dugly,I got a WF10S in the mail today and I love it so far the nut is about 1 3/4 inch like you said, the action is really good for the price, it looks real nice. I'm not sure what you mean by right hand technique like slapping and fingerpicking? If so the first thing I played when I got it is Neon by John Mayer and there's a right/left hand technique and the guitar responds really good to it. You should definitely go for it, I would get that model also if I had the money but I'm still young and have no job yet.

P.S. heres a link to see the technique I'm talking about the technique starts at about 1:05 and goes on for almost the whole song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_M5cNcRcMk

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by datninjajohn
If so the first thing I played when I got it is Neon by John Mayer and there's a right/left hand technique and the guitar responds really good to it. You should definitely go for it, I would get that model also if I had the money but I'm still young and have no job yet.

P.S. heres a link to see the technique I'm talking about the technique starts at about 1:05 and goes on for almost the whole song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_M5cNcRcMk

WAAY COOL!!  I use a similar technique (nowhere near as fluid as Mayer's, but then that's why he's considered a virtuoso and I'm not) on the walking bass line in the Clapton Unplugged version of Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out).  Sadly, stuff at the speed used by Mayer in this piece are much easier for me with a flat-pick....working on that, though!

This piece is one great example of why I really like a cedar soundboard---you don't have to play the DOG$Hi+ out of it to get decent sound (in fact, you can't....you'll find that the sound gets a bit muddy when the cedar gets overdriven, which is not at all hard to do).

Love the trills he adds at 4:00, 4:01, 4:02 and 4:03!  TIGHT!!

Cheers!! to DaNJ for the link to the cool video, from.....

Dugly [8D]

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:42:17 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
nice stuff.....

guitar on his right thigh!!!  [:D]
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »
That video made reminded me that I should practice more.   :-(

Offline datninjajohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

the mini jumbo style, which I assume is as large as a dreadnought, but has slope shoulders like Epiphone's AJ (Advanced Jumbo) line. I have WAAAY too many dreads already .

no problem, and I think the mini jumbos are a lot smaller than dreads

lower bout measures: dread: 15+15/16, Mini jumbo: 14+15/16

upper bout measures: dread: 11+5/8, Mini jumbo: 10+11/16

Waist measures: dread: 11, Mini jumbo 9+1/8

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by datninjajohn

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

the mini jumbo style, which I assume is as large as a dreadnought, but has slope shoulders like Epiphone's AJ (Advanced Jumbo) line. I have WAAAY too many dreads already .

no problem, and I think the mini jumbos are a lot smaller than dreads

lower bout measures: dread: 15+15/16, Mini jumbo: 14+15/16

upper bout measures: dread: 11+5/8, Mini jumbo: 10+11/16

Waist measures: dread: 11, Mini jumbo 9+1/8

Thanks....now I'll have to scramble for a case that fits.  Perhaps Washburn makes one...if not I'll probably contact Elderly.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]