Username: Password:

Author Topic: For Sale: 1983 Washburn Falcon (make offer)  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Philasonic

• View Profile
For Sale: 1983 Washburn Falcon (make offer)
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
I accidentally posted this originally in the Electric Guitar discussions.  I see that this forum has For Sale posts, so I'm posting here instead.  Sorry for the confusion.

Listed on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Classic-Washburn-Falcon-with-original-hard-case_W0QQitemZ190387697361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c53fdb6d1

In very good condition compared to any I've ever seen offered. I still have the original parts I've replaced (pickup selector switch and pickups). Only very minor flaws, in great condition for a guitar that's almost 30 years old.

The ebay listing is quite detailed, but if you want to know more, I can send more pics, or provide more details if requested. Make an offer if you don't like the price. Saw one sell about a year ago for much more.

As far as I know, the inferior set neck flat top models (82-84) rarely come up for sale in the usual spots (ebay, craigslist). Lucky pawn shop score or right place at the right time is where you find deals on these.

If you have some constructive feedback, or even a mean and nasty reply, let me know what's on your mind.

I hate to sell it, because I love this guitar. Plays so good, nice and smooth, and sounds great. But this shorter scale neck is so radically different from all of my other guitars. It takes too long to get used to it, and to get back used to playing the others when I'm done. When it was my main guitar it didn't matter.

If you have a USA G&L Comanche I'm up for a trade. Looking for Honey/Amber/Tobacco/Sunburst finishes and prefer a maple neck. I'll pitch in extra if the situation calls for it.

Peace

phil

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Philasonic

If you have some constructive feedback, or even a mean and nasty reply, let me know what's on your mind.

Ok... you asked for it:

SUPER RARE? (eBay speak for I'm asking more than this is actually worth.)

Let me get this right: you believe my $2200 Comanche is a fair straight-up trade for your $600 Falcon... I guess I'd think so too if I were viewing from your perspective.

Offline Philasonic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »
I've been following this forum for a long time, but just joined.

So I know your posts Rocket.  Lots of sarcasm.  hehe

Yes, I did ask for it.  And I do appreciate your reply.

But no, you got it wrong.  I don't think my Washburn is a fair trade for a mint condition brand new Comanche with factory warranty.  Probably not even a gently used one.  Now if the Comanche had a gouge in the body and chips in the paint, then yes it might in fact be a fair trade.  Perceived value is in the behold.

Spending $2200 is foolish because that guitar can be purchased brand new for around $1500 if you shop around and aren't hasty, so the comparison is even further off.  But your point about the disparaging price difference is taken, and I agree.

Please prove me wrong about being Super Rare.  I'll admit that perhaps I'm wrong and have been looking in the wrong places, and that I'm using lame ebay speak.  I'll even post a whole new thread admitting that I'm wrong, and you're right.

If you can show me multiple low priced set neck flat top Falcons in GOOD CONDITION, I'll concede that I'm a fool and had it all wrong.  Even one would be impressive, though I've seen them sell quite cheap on occasion.

Usually it's the more common neck thru carved tops.  And not always in good condition, many times they are quite worn and beaten.

I hope I'm right, but if I'm wrong I can surely admit it.

Peace

Offline Racing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:55:29 AM »
Now,they´re most likely more common your side of the puddle than mine but i can attest to that 30yr old guitars in REALLY good nick is a rarity.
Have owned a few highend wings in my day and in latter yrs i´d go on record and say that TWO of them have been in REALLY good condition incl the OEM HSC asf in just as nice nick.

So...850 bux aint the end of the world in my book for someone in the market for an upscale wing if you ask me.
I´d say you´re fairly spot on with that one as these guitars ARE getting more and more expensive by the day.
Over here one of my old ones is currently for sale for the equivalent of 1000 dollars-albeit an Eagle.
Worth every penny if you ask me as the axe is more or less like new.

Offline Philasonic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
Thanks Racing.  I'd love to get a look at that Eagle if you have any pics.

It's in great condition, I just described it conservatively.

Compared to a whole lot of guitars I see posted which are described as Excellent and Near Mint (many of which also describe chips in the finish, gouges in the wood, and other visible scars) mine is much nicer.

All of the flaws are very minor and standard for any old guitar that has been played.  Has normal fretwer, but it's never had a fret dressing so there's plenty to work with.  Bridge/saddle has typical corrosion from the palm, because it's been played, not stored.

It's quite stunning and I get a lot of envious remarks when I break it out, because it's quite something to look at.  For the right buyer, it will be a major score.

Peace

Offline deltafunk89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

quote:
Originally posted by Philasonic

Ok... you asked for it:

SUPER RARE? (eBay speak for I'm asking more than this is actually worth.)

Let me get this right: you believe my $2200 Comanche is a fair straight-up trade for your $600 Falcon... I guess I'd think so too if I were viewing from your perspective.

I believe that it's not a fair trade cuz i would gladly keep my falcon and tell you to keep that g&l any day.

I obviously own one, and i've been through my fair share of g&l's/fenders/grosh's/andersons... and they're all great instruments

but notes on the falcon will sustain longer than they ever would on your comanche's best day.

basically, falcons play just as well, actually better in my opinion since my strat feels like a toy since i've owned the falcon. and in my opinion sound better than any strat style guitar, even a kick ass comanche, regardless of price.  

people say brass nuts cause tuning instability, most these people have never owned a guitar with a brass nut tho.  my falcon stays in tune WAY better than any strat style guitar i've ever played hands down, no question, forget about it.

just don't diss the falcon, maybe ur in love with your comanche cuz u paid over 2 stacks for it, but i f*****g wouldn't. i'm happy with my budget priced guitar that makes gibsons and any other high end guitar maker's guitars sound thin and dead when compared face to face.
 but, different strokes for different folks :)