Username: Password:

Author Topic: My Washburn J6 Clone of the $10,000 Gibson  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
My Washburn J6 Clone of the $10,000 Gibson
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:29:46 PM »
Well there isn't much going on on this page.  So just for grins I will tell you that my J6 (an L-5 clone) is like a new guitar.   I got Seth Lovers for it and had my repair shop do a little messing with it.  Whew it is fabuloso!  Lots of oohs and aahs when I take it out of the case and lots of mellow tone when I play it.  

It was already a very nice guitar in 1986-1988 when I bought it in Mission Viejo CA.  The pickups were good, but the Seth Lovers are perfect. It is beautiful to look at.  Great (easy to play fretboard) and incredible tone.  It really competes with anything in any price range.  Thank God it does not play itself (it still needs me)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
I doubt if it will hold the value like the Gibson you refer to. Most of the guitars built in the world are copies of Gibsons, Fenders, or Martins. Even the pickups you put in it are copies of a Gibson original.

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
The way I feel about guitars is this. If you really enjoy your guitar and the sound it makes then it's value is priceless to you. Personally I really don't want to sound exactly like (insert your hero here). Les Paul was a prime example of chasing your own tone. I know guitar marketing has been based on that premise from day one. All the manufacturers do it. But this guitar and you can sound just like whatshisname. Get your favorite Artists model, et all. Just hype. With all the studio processing, pedals and amps available what does that particular guitar really sound like? I believe that the development of the guitar, in general, has been crippled because of this type of marketing hype.

I have 3 guitars that all sound different. I would not have it any other way. All but one was tweaked to pull a slightly different tone out of them for my style of playing. I am very satisfied with each of them. Enjoy what you have or keep searching for your own sound.

Great guitar Gitfiddle.