Username: Password:

Author Topic: interesting guitars on the bay  (Read 842 times)

Offline binder1

• View Profile
interesting guitars on the bay
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »
Anyone else notice the number of mid 1990s Washburn electrics that have been listed on e-bay recently?  In the last 3 weeks I've seen an MG-30, MG-40, MG-52, MG-74, MG-820, G-35 V, (2) XB-600s and an XB-920 (USA).  All appeared to be in very good to excellent condition and all sold within hours of their initial listing.  I wonder if there's one person buying all these guitars because, until recently, I didn't see a lot of the used Washburn brand selling at all?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:45:30 AM by binder1 »

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
I would say that is about the norm on import MGs on ebay, except they usually don't sell right away.  If you do saved searches you will see that older 80s and 90s electric Washburns pop up relatively often.  I don't know why one guy would buy all of those guitars since it is a poor investment choice, and you can pick up better playing USA Washburns for a few hundred more.

Offline binder1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
Looks like the MG-820 was imported (1994 Washburn archives but not in the catalog).  Anyone have any pictures of that one?

I don't see it listed on the Vintage Washburn site either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:09:43 AM by binder1 »

Offline binder1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »
Another question.  Is there really that much difference (except for how hot the Pick-ups are) between a well set-up MG-40 and an MG-120?  I haven't played any of the MG series but I was thinking about buying an MG-40 (if I can find one in good shape and at the right price....cheap!)

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
I would say yes.  The import and other Korean electric factories weren't that good back then when you compare to current standards, imo.  The import MGs were made at Samick.  The USA versions, I assume, had hand-picked woods with more specified quality control.  They also had much better hardware.  Since you can pick up a really nice USA MG for $350, I really don't see a purpose in laying down $125 for a 90s Korean import.  If you are looking for super cheap decent playing Washburns, I would just get one of their newer models for $200 new.