Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 6815 times)

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
Anyone know what this is?
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »
Hi I have a Washburn guitar that looks exactly like the attached picture, it has a Floyd Rose tremolo unit (or so I am told) and the word Tonewood on a little plaque on the neck. I know nothing about guitars.http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85849133.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54826C0B306DF9A4AAAAA5EB6CCA4A43EDFCF915BF8B537F4A7

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
I dunno, but it looks pretty cool.

I have always liked the idea of 'reverse' slanted pickups, which should by my reckoning add some more depth to the higher strings at the bridge.

Trouble is, about the only thing I've ever seen this on are rare Washburns like the SS models and I think Mosrites which have a slanted neck pickup.
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
Many thanks, I can not play myself but it looks too good to be sitting under my bed gathering dust. So I was going to sell it but don't know how much to ask.

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
Hi mikecoe, now that looks nicely different. What's written on the neckplate, and anything on the front or back of the headstock with regards Buzz Feiten or where made??

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
I will have a look tonight. I think it says Mercury series on the headstock, it says Tonewood at the bottom of the neck and at the back is a nice metal plate on the back with the serial number stamped on it.

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
Looks like some kind of import variation Mercury II series.  The only MG with slanted pup I know about is the 112, but that one is part of the series I series (different body style).  The neck also does not correlate with the other mercury styles.  

My guess is that it's a parts mutt Washburn put together near the end of a run.  I have seen a few other import MGs that deviate from standard production.  More picks would help - serial number too.

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
Many thanks i will get it out and tack some more pictures tonight.

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
Hi again mike, the Tonewood series was about 1993-94, there's a tonewood bass on UK Ebay at the mo, made in the Samick Plant in Korea. The first number of your serial should be either a 3 or 4, to make it correct. Still puzzled about the headstock though.

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
Hi yes the s/n is 3071702 this is on a metal plate that says hand crafted since 1876

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
So you've got a 93 Mercury Tonewood Series, made in the Samick Plant in Korea, with either a Proto Neck, or a Washburn Badged neck from a completely different range, possibly not even made by Washburn. Why worry, it's certainly different, and I would think do well, at auction. As for value, beauty is in the eye, and all that, really hard to say. I'm sure you will get interest, looks a nice instrument. If you decide to sell, don't forget to give the folk on this site a heads up with a link to the sale. Whatever happens I wish you luck with the sale. Cheers Don.
Edit....
Hey Nick d'ya think that could be a Steve Stevens body ??? Same year. And Hamer had a headstock very similar. WoW, now that would be a mix and match of the highest order. Check out the Headstock on the second pic down

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/hamer/Hamer%20Models/steve_stevens_guitar.htm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:59:11 PM by Cornish Boy »

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Thank you so much, I don't think I want to sell it now, I could try to learn to play it I suppose.

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
That's a better idea, that guitar deserves playing, drop in and let us know how you're getting on, above all Have Fun.

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
All Steve Steven bodies were made of poplar, so that would be one way to tell.  It's very strange because the horns are more curved (upper horn) and contours are different than the SS40/SS80 and most 22 fret MGs - so that leads me to believe it is not a SS body.....but a '93 24 fret MG body that somehow got a slanted pups.  The neck seems to be a typical 24 fret mg style but with a reversed headstock.  No doubt it's a strange one.

The Hamer SS3 and Washburn SS80 have very similar references, and the SS80 is basically a two humbucker version of the SS3.  That's a whole 'nother story in itself (read the Steve Stevens story at VW if interested).  Hamer moved from it's Chicago location in 1992, and many Hamer employees headed over the the Washburn custom shop when Grover Jackson was hired.  Terry Atkins, who is currently production manager of Washburn, was one of these fellows.

Offline mikecoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »
Sorry they are not too good they looked better on the small screen of my phone, but you get the idea.