Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for the value of a Monterey for my Dad  (Read 3141 times)

Offline shaylenwilliams

• View Profile
Looking for the value of a Monterey for my Dad
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
I am in the sad position of trying to value my Dad's Washburn for him, as he has fallen on hard times. This is the info he has given me:
Washburn Monterey, acoustic/electric
Natural finish
Left handed (had to be special ordered at time of purchase)
Serial No. 1612001
Purchased new, April 4, 1985 (he still has the paperwork)
6 string, mother of pearl fret inlays, cutaway with bent back
Made in the USA, he said someone told him it was a Studio model?
He paid $648 for it new.

Basically, he just wants a rough idea of what it is worth now.

Thanks SO MUCH for any info you can pass on to me, I really appreciate it. I have looked around a bit online, but the valuation sites I am finding want you to pay to join.  

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
Shalyn, we have a couple of historians on the forum who will be able to value your guitar. A model number might help, aren't the Monterey models EA pieces?

If you don't get an answer in a few days, try posting the question ont he Acoustic Guitarists post comments and questions board. Pike keeps an eye on that one and if he doesn't find your question here, he'll find it there.

If your dad wants to sell, you can post For Sale items here on the forum, too.  We're all Washburn-ophiles here, so the market is pretty good!

Cheers and good luck from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline shaylenwilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
Thanks Dugly!

I wasn't sure if this would be the correct forum/thread or not, so I'll repost later if need be. I don't know the model number, and I don't think he does either. The only guitars I know a thing about are of the bass variety, and I gave up that when I had to sell my Ibanez to fill the propane tank years ago. Boohoo!

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »
Some photos will be helpful. Photos of the label, front, back, electronics,neck, etc. It's doubtful it's made in USA. Probably made in Japan.

Offline shaylenwilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »
I don't have any photos, and I won't be able to get any anytime soon. My Dad doesn't have a digital camera or internet access, and he lives far enough away that I can't just go and take some myself. I am aware that I can't get a specific value without knowing the condition, I'm just looking for a ballpark kind of thing (to avoid things like being taken for a ride at a pawn shop, etc.).

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by shaylenwilliams

I don't know the model number, and I don't think he does either.

I've only played one Festival series Washburn, but I would suppose that there is a label inside the body that has a model number, perhaps (most likely) the same label right inside the sound hole that has the serial number.  If you can't post photos (most of us around here use the IMG code from Photobucket dot com) perhaps your dad would be kind enough to search further for the model number.

The left-handed issue is a negative....really hard to source a lefty model and also limits the market for your guitar.  I've known many a teacher who refused to teach a left handed beginner unless they learned on a right handed guitar for exactly that reason.  There IS at least one specific online store for left-handers, perhaps you could contact them and find out if they are interested in buying the guitar. It sounds like a very nice guitar.

http://www.left-handed-guitars-online.com/

A pawn shop is the LAST place I'd recommend trying to turn this into money [xx(] .

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:40:44 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
Hi Shaylen, there are two Montereys, the EA30 and the EA44. Here's the blue book info on both...

EA30 MONTEREY
- single sharp cutaway dreadnought style, spruce top, oval soundhole, bound body, three-stripe
purfling, five-stripe rosette, flame maple back/sides, mahogany neck, 21-fret rosewood fingerboard,
rosewood bridge with white pearl dot pins, three-per-side chrome diecast tuners, acoustic bridge
pickup, volume/tone control, 3-band EQ, available in Natural, Trans. Red, Trans. Blue, or Trans. Black
finishes, late 1980s-1991.
Grading
 100% ----Excellent ---Average
-N/A ---$325 - 375 ---$175 - 225
Last MSR was $730.

EA44 MONTEREY
- single sharp cutaway thin style, solid cedar top, oval soundhole, bound body, three-stripe
purfling/rosette, rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck, 14/20-fret bound rosewood fingerboard with
pearl diamond inlay, rosewood bridge with white black pins, bound peghead with rosewood veneer,
three-per-side chrome tuners with pearl buttons, acoustic bridge pickup, Washburn 3200/EQ300/Equis
II electronics, available in Black, Natural, or Tobacco Sunburst finish, mfg. 1979-1985, 1987-89, 1992-
Grading
100% -----Excellent ----Average
N/A -----$500 - 575 --$325 - 375
Last MSR was $1,100.
This model was introduced three seperate times, so the description may vary a bit. It is one of the three
original Festival guitars and did not have the EA44 designation until the mid-1980s. In 1987, the EQ300
electronic system was introduced with sliders instead of knobs, and the guitar was only known as the
EA44. In 1992, the Equis II electronic system was introduced, and the guitar was known as both the
Monterey and EA44.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:42:23 PM by Pike »

Offline shaylenwilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
Thanks Pike, I really appreciate it!!!