Username: Password:

Author Topic: Winfield Bluegrass Festival 2011!!  (Read 4576 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Winfield Bluegrass Festival 2011!!
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Got my tickets in the mail a week ago.

Names like Bryan Bowers, John McCutcheon, Tom Chapin, and The Wilders convinced me that the event was worth buying tickets early to get the early bird discount.

Today I called the headquarters with a camping question and guess who they just signed.......unbelievable......

Tommy Emmanuel!!!!

Yes, that's right, the incredible Tommy Emmanuel was a winner of the International Fingerstyle Competition in years past (waaay past), and with this being the 40th anniversary of the event, they managed to talk him into performing again.

YEE-HAW!!!!

For more info on performers, go to:

http://www.wvfest.com/

click on Performers on the red vertical bar on the left side of the home page and select 2011 Performers from the drop-down menu.

Looks like I'll be going up early to get a primo camping spot....and enjoy the week of campfire jams that preceed the festival, itself.

This just gets better and better each year!

Disappointed that the Greencards won't be returning this year, though [:(] .  They were VERY GOOD!

I'll post more as I get the info, but this is shaping up to be one world class event!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:40:27 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

binder1

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:06 AM »
Sounds like a great bluegrass festival.  Wish I could go, but I live too far away. Tommy Emmanuel is truly one of the great acoustic guitarist of our time.  I see Shephen Bennett is also on the marquee.  Until last summer, Stephen lived right around the corner from me.  He's another very gifted guitarist.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:50:28 AM by binder1 »

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Yep, I've seen Stephen Bennett at the WVF many times.....those harp-guitars he uses are quite unique!  Looks like they have drone strings, like a sitar.....

Glad he'll be there.  

Another musician I'm glad to see returning is Bryan Bowers.  He can get more sound out of one autoharp than a whole gaggle of guitarists!  He plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic in 4-part harmony on the autoharp and makes it look like it's no big deal. I saw Bryan Bowers and Allison Krause & Union Station at the Winfield Bluegrass Festival (now called the Walnut Valley Festival b/c of the expanded musical focus from strictly bluegrass) back in the late 1970's. Unforgettable.....

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos and post them here on this board.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
NICE, wish we had more then one Bluegrass fest in my Provence.
we do however have many ,many folk festivals. My band is booked this yr for 9 already and the list of festivals are not out yet.
gonna be a busy yr.
Have fun dugly.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

Another musician I'm glad to see returning is Bryan Bowers.  He can get more sound out of one autoharp than a whole gaggle of guitarists!  He plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic in 4-part harmony on the autoharp and makes it look like it's no big deal.

Guess what, guys....I found this on YouTube. Watch as he adds layer after layer to the song......incredible!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KplVFSi66wA

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
I am not familiar with most of the performers.  Of course the great Tommy Emmanuel I know and I have heard of Kenny & Amanda Smith band and the Wilders but I have not seen them live.  I was fortunate to see Michael Martin Murphy at the station inn one night and his vocals blew me away.  here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD1OUxQhNE8
It seems like last years list of performers was longer, maybe they will add more.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
Hey Dugly, I was reading your post about the festival in the acoustic forum and I thought I would ask for a review here in the bluegrass forum.

So how was it?  Highlights and lowlights.  Any bands that really stood out?

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
I will absolutely do so, Merlin!

I'm not home yet, stopped a couple of hours short of home to visit and jam with some friends in Huntsville, TX.  I took some photos, most of which were on my cell phone, that I'd like to post here...soon as I figure out how to text them to my email and save them (somewhere????) so I can post them on Photobucket.

Weather was an issue....two of the four days were plagued with a wet, cold drizzle and about 9 PM on Saturday, which as you can imagine is the highlight of the event, an incredible lightning storm closed down all the stages.

On the bright side, some old favorites, such as Bryan Bowers (autoharp genius) were back for the 40th anniversary, and, yes, I did manage to make some new favorites.

More to follow, might take a few days, I'm headed down south towards home later this morning.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
Dougly, you home yet?