Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB-35 DL-TS?  (Read 14125 times)

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Nah.  We're frustrated Blues players who don't HAVE the 'tude.

Still havin' a time getting good pics.  I found my photo lights, but can't find my light stands.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »
looking forward to them(pics) and I WISH i could play Jazz.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:22 AM »
The only jazz I have a problem with is Progressive. Sometimes it just sounds like it's not working right. The structure is just off.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »
by progressive...do you mean fusion, or Frisell type stuff?
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
I mean when everyone is playing something different and all you have is a base line or basic piano rift playing over and over again, then everyone has to have their own solo and it has no relation to the main tune, type of progressive jazz.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 07:47:13 AM »
The latest issue of Guitar Player magazine has an article about a 13 year old jazz musician that has cut his first album(CD), has his own signature guitar, and amp. Started playing when he was 4, and already has graced the cover of a magazine. Interesting article.

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Here are a coupla pics.

This shows the Wing headstock and fretboard inlays.

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
This sows the pickups and bridge.

Not sure if the pic shows it, but the f-holes and neck have 3-ply bindings and the top and back have 7-ply bindings.  The pic above shows the 5-ply bindings on the headstock.

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
Nick S.

... I mean when everyone is playing something different and all you have is a base line or basic piano rift playing over and over again, then everyone has to have their own solo and it has no relation to the main tune, type of progressive jazz...
----------------------
Never did that.  Back in the 70's, it was just me and a bass player.  I played voice-leading chord melodies.  Same with the trio I had.  Later, when I played in a quartet with a piano, we were VERY careful not to step on one another's toes.  When one guy was soloing, everyone else stayed right on the chart -- maybe throw in a VIm7 - IIm7 - V7 turnaround here and there, but otherwise, that's it.  The soloist was expecting to have the bass on the root and five and the rhythm player playing nothing more fancy than sevenths.  If the keyboard is laying on a flat-9 and I'm playing a dom 9th, it's gonna sound like hell!  The idea was... it's HIS solo, so I played simple.  I always got my chance and, when I did, I knew where HE was gonna be.

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »
I like your kind of Jazz playing, Bob. New Orleans style is some of my favorite, just old school I guess. How can I not like it. It came from the Blues players....

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
Nick S.,

That's me.  Old School to the bone.  I grew up listening to guys like Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel, Joe Pass...  Even though I love Buddy Guy, SRV, and the three Kings, I just don't have the attitude they have.  (FWIW, I call my car stereo... my SRV player.)

Here's Barney doing a Blues.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlYmWne4sk&feature=related)  It's like I used to play, but I used more single-note runs.  It's not the Blues.  No matter how you cut it, it still comes out jazz.  

Here's Barney doing Misty, an old jazz standard.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjI0XyrgtCU)  Notice how he lays back when the bassist solos.  No one's steppin' on toes here.  

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff I used to do.  Not progressive or fusion at all!  Just Old Guy music.  I'm 63.  Heck, I'll bet I have picks layin' around that are older than most of the young puppy dawgs here.  (But I'll be darned if I could do what THEY [or you] do.)

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
2 points...love the music. I also enjoy the prog stuff from time to time, LOVE Frissel (who's stuff is literally all over the map) but find the references(Kessel Montgomery) you made really peerless.

And the guitar...wow. Right down to the Amber tip. You really have a gem there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:45:13 AM by Tio Kimo »
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Bob G.

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
Tio Kimo,

Oh, yeah... love the stuff Frisell does -- reminds me of Mikes Davis in a lot of ways.  Wish I could play like that, but that's just not me.

Another favorite of mine is John McLaughlin.  Blew me away when he did the album of standards, but I've been a fan of his since his days with Miles.  Again, wish I could, but I can't.

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
Sorry for the delay in my reply - I am recovering from an Arterial Aneurysm I had operated on a few days ago.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:55:01 PM by NickS »

Offline steveyray

• View Profile
HB-35 DL-TS?
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »
I had a 35 DL in white, my mom wanted to get this guitar for me at a shop near Colo. Springs around 1985.  they said it was a prototype or a one off on this color.  My EQ didn't work half the time, it spent so much time in the shop I traded it for a Strat Plus.  I could NOT get sound out of it most of the time, it wasn't a battery, either.  When I wanted them to take it back they wanted a restock fee.... but you know.....I really liked the regular HB35.