Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idol Model History  (Read 2231 times)

Offline hackaway

• View Profile
Idol Model History
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »
Good Morning,

I've got one of the earlier Pilsen PI70 Idols (no chambers, dot inlays)that I really like.  I love the fat neck and the tone from that massive piece of mahogany.  Although I need another guitar like another hole in the head, I've been lusting after the WI590/PI90.  Some good prices on these used on eBay.

I'm not sure I want the model with lightening tone chambers, though.  I'm worried it might lose some of the mojo.  I've been googling the model history and past Washburn catalogs trying to figure out when the tone chambers were introduced, but no luck.  I can't even find any reviews of the WI590.

Does anyone know if many of the PI90 (non-XLs) were even made?  If I'm lusting after a rare bird, I may just need to realign expectations.  If so, anyone have one of the models with and without tone chambers that could compare and contrast?

Thanks in advance!

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
Idol Model History
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
The PI90s  were made, not in huge numbers but you might be able to find one.
I own a PI80 and a WI90, unfortunately, the WI90 I bought was a non finished guitar
no hardware, no pickups guitar, so I can't compare the two tonally until I get it finished.
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline hackaway

• View Profile
Idol Model History
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I might start a thread to get input on the tonal characteristics of the chambered Idol.  

Doug