Username: Password:

Author Topic: Guitar for beginner and stroke victim  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
Guitar for beginner and stroke victim
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
I need some help My old Shipmate had a stroke and would like to get a classical guitar I think it would be a good way for him to rehab, we are both only 56, he has a $200 limit what does this knowledge base recommend so I can help him out I am a steely, and am clueless when it comes to nylon.I appreciate any help, Thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:22:41 PM by Ripple »
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
In Washburn's classical line, the C80S looks like it might be in his range.  General rule of thumb is that street price should be somewhere in the range of 60% of MSRP.  At the MSRP shown on Washburn's webpage, that might be a bit more than $200, but not much.

Classical guitars are not that much different from steelies, other than that the necks don't usually have the truss rod our steelies have b/c the tension the classical strings put on the neck is much less.  That is a good thing and a bad thing.  I have a classical that is 20 years old, from Yamaha, and the neck is quite stable.  I even had a Yamaha classical (different guitar) that took a 2 mile ride submersed in the Rio Grande River after a raft flipped at Rockslide Rapid....it took a few weeks to dry out, but it was quite playable after that and in fact I did play it regularly for another 20 years before I gave it to a promising young musician.  However, if something does occur that results in the neck bowing or twisting, without a truss rod there's much less chance of fixing it without expensive luthier surgery.

I can attest to the powers of the guitar re: rehab.  I took a nose dive off a roof and fell 32 feel onto hard ground in the 1970's, ended up having to have a bone graft on the left hand and it took 9 months for the graft to take.  During that time it was recommended that I not stress the thumb, so I simply cradled the back of the neck in the crook of the cast between the thumb and the index finger and played on.  I sincerely believe that had I not forged on with the playing (it was a classical guitar, which is important for your friend b/c the neck width is greater so it's easier to get difficult to move fingers into the right places), I would not be able to play at my current level today.  

As for price, I'd suggest you get hold of Jon at Funky Munky Music (phone # 913-268-5555).....he's one of our forum members and I can attest that he will give you a righteous price, just mention that you're a forum member.  I recently purchased a WMJ 11S from him, he's been great to work with and is very accommodating to special requests.

Other issues related to general guitar construction remain pretty similar between steelies and classicals....for example, the C80S's solid wood top (cedar in this case, which IMHO is a much better choice than spruce) will age well and improve the sound as it opens up.  However, I understand that isn't important in this case, the theraputic benefits of playing the guitar are the real issue.  As I said, without my own self-imposed occupational therapy during that time when I was injured I would not have my current level of dexterity.  Neurological issues can take a long time to resolve, but the quicker your friend gets started the better.

Best of luck to your friend in his recovery!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the good info He says he has 1005 % use of his hands but he doesn't sound too sharp, and as we here know music sharpens ones mind so I hope it will help.I will give the C80S a look Thanks
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
Jon wasn't there but they said 229 with shipping guess I should wait to talk to Jon?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ripple

Jon wasn't there but they said 229 with shipping guess I should wait to talk to Jon?

Yes....Jon is the owner of the business and he does give good deals to Washburn forum members.  I'm not sure he has authorized his salesman to offer such deep discounts.

His price for the one I ordered, including shipping, was 54% of MSRP alone, not including shipping.

Just an FYI....I'd be careful of buying off eBay, Washburn's warranty is good only to original purchasers and only if the guitar was purchased from one of their authorized dealers.  It might not be important to you, it was to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Ripple

Thanks for the good info He says he has 1005 % use of his hands but he doesn't sound too sharp, and as we here know music sharpens ones mind so I hope it will help.

You're dealing with two different parts of the brain.  Music (and all creativity) and motor slills are primarily right hemisphere functions, whereas the speech portion of language production (in fact, almost all componenets of language function) is a left hemisphere function (even though it sounds like a motor activity, it is much more detailed).  However, you are correct in that music is in a way a language of its own, with an alphabet of it's own, morphology, syntax, even semantics.

One thing is for sure, it won't hurt!  

Another thing I'd recommend is that he engage in routine activities that will maintain his oral musculature tone.  One of the teachers I worked with (I was a public school speech pathologist for quite a while) developed Bell's Palsy, which routinely is fairly short term.  However, having always been a very articulate person, she was worried about how quickly her speech would recover.  I encouraged her to chew gum, blow bubbles with bubble gum, blow bubbles with the soapy solution that kids enjoy, drink through straws, that sort of thing.  She was back to normal within a few weeks, which is a fairly speedy recovery.  Did she recover more quickly b/c of my suggestions?  We'll never know, there's no standard there, but it could not have hurt. Of particular benefit is that singing is a fluid form of speech and even those who have fluency difficulties, such as Mel Tillis, seldom display stuttering when singing, acting, or talking on the telephone.  The built-in fluidity of singing might well help speed his recovery, too.

It's all about building new neural pathways in the brain to take the place of those that were starved for oxygen when their blood supply was cut off by the stroke.  It works for both hemispheres of the brain, but progress is greater at first, so get him started quickly.  

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:17:28 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Music123 is a autherized dealer.And they are fast on warranty service on my WD10SCE.  I am looking to buy , maybe this same guitar. I am going to wait and see if F.M.M. gives a better deal, as Im in no rush. Tom.[:)]

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »
FM is out of C80S right now will keep you posted on availability, thinks for input on 123

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
Good info there Dug...

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
wow I waited, and now they are 229.00 at musicians friend.sometimes you wait to long and lose. So I bought me a Fender Mustang 1. Only 99.00 bucks, if I forget it out in the gazebo I'm not out to much, and its light to carry around.I was playing a WD20S, down at the store.And it sure looks and sounds nice.I might just bring it home. Tom