Username: Password:

Author Topic: D-21S vs D-29  (Read 2125 times)

Offline ath.89

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
I'm looking at buying a new acoustic, and these two guitars fit into my price range. I've never had any experience with Washburn, just kind of going on gut feeling(which worked out very well for me last time I did that with a Schecter). So I was curious what some of ya'll think about these two. Both are listed on ebay and look to be in very good condition . Thanks!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
If it were me, I'd consider the D-21S first...according to standard Washburn model designations, the D-21S will have a solid wood soundboard, whereas the D-29 would appear to be an all laminate guitar.

Both may sound similar at the time of manufacture, but the model with the solid wood soundboard will display tonal improvements as the soundboard ages, whereas with the all lam model, what you hear at the time you purchase it is what you get for life, and beyond.

Have you done a search?  Use the search function at the upper right of this page, right above and to the right of LOGOUT. Chances are you'll find more reading than you ever expected!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:59:43 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ath.89

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Ah, my bad on the D-29, the listing says it is a solid top (cedar, which I'm not very familiar with). I did do a search but it didn't turn up much past no don't buy that or good find. Also the D-21 is shown as an S N, which I haven't been able to find any info on. Searches for that one were just turning up serial numbers left and right. Sorry I should've given a little more info at first, thanks though!

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ath.89

Ah, my bad on the D-29, the listing says it is a solid top (cedar, which I'm not very familiar with).

Well, that would change my mind completely....between spruce and cedar I'll take cedar most often.  Here's why:

Cedar has long been the favorite of classical guitarists because it seems to display heightened sensitivity to technique over spruce for fingetstyle playing.  I own guitars with solid wood soundboards in spruce, cedar, and redwood and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Cedar's advantage is, IMHO, as stated above. The primary disadvantage for cedar is that it overdrives easily.  My cedar topped guitars are very responsive to gentle strumming, but when the right hand gets more vigorous, cedar tends to turn muddy and loses that incredible definition I associate with cedar.

Spruce's advantage, not surprisingly, is its ability to take a lickin' and keep on tickin', so to speak.  Spruce doesn't seem to me to be as responsive as cedar to fingetstyle, but it comes alive with a pick!  If I'm going to play something that gets energetic, I'll reach for one of my spruce tops.

Redwood seems to be the best of both worlds, sort of.  I have both classical and steel string guitars with redwood soundboards and they are my most commonly used guitars when I'm onstage.  Redwood has the sensitivity that cedar displays and can stand up very well to vigorous work with a pick.  Redwood's disadvantage? Price, plain and simple. Add to that the fact that you have to go to a custom shop to get redwood soundboards (anyone seen one in a mass-produced guitar???), and the price factor increases even more.  

So....what kind of playing do you do?  Is it mostly with a plectrum? If so, I'd say get more info on the D21SN.  If you are a fingerstyle artist, I'd say you'd be happier with the D29S.

I think the N on the D21SN indicates a natural finish, but if that's wrong, there will be others who can correct this.

Let us know how it works out, please....if you can post photos, we'd love to see the guitars!  Photobucket seems to be the image hosting site most of us use around here...easy to use and free.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:12:06 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ath.89

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
Oh ok great! Very helpful. I really only play country and bluegrass with a pick on my acoustic, so it sounds like the 21 would be better suited for me. Here are the listings, they have good pics-

D-21

D-29

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
Both nice looking Washies!  Good choice!

I've been forgetting to welcome you to the forum, we're always glad to have new members here [^].  Stick around, join in the discussions, you'll likely find this a very friendly and helpful place.  

Good luck with your purchase!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

binder1

D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
Be leary of the seller with the D-29.  A few members (including me), on the forum, have had less than good experiences with that one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:39:26 AM by binder1 »

Offline ath.89

• View Profile
D-21S vs D-29
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Oh man, thanks for the heads up.