Username: Password:

Author Topic: WD Series Guitars  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Busterplays

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
I just purchased a WD40SCE and wanted to start a thread about the WD series. I recieved the guitar yesterday, took it out of the box and it was almost in tune, just a bit low.  Tuned her up and started playing.I think China has come a long way luthier wise. Everything looks great workmanship seems very good. I thought the tone a was a bit thin and bright so I did a full set up with John Pearse 12-53 phosphor bronze strings (I do tech work for a local music store). I ended up adding a small amout of relief in the neck and filed a very small (TINY AMOUNT) amout off the bridge to lower things. I also cleaned up the nut a little. Tone and feel improved. By this morning everything seemed to stabilize and she played fantastic, very balanced tone from bass to treble and projection was much fuller sounding. I might end up putting grovers or some high end tuners on down the road, but the tuners seem fine for now. The finish is well done and not too thick. Acoustically I am reminded of an old maple backed Grammer from the seventies, tight but lotsa punch. Before the set up the sound was quiet and thin with the balance very trebly. I havent tried the electronics yet so I will let you know regarding live/stage work. She is a keeper so far.

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
That's good news Buster.  They're nice looking in pictures but I've never seen one in person.  Flamed maple?  Fishman electronics?  I like the look of that headstock.  Tell us more.  And post some pictures if you can.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
Terrific review.  Pics are always a plus.  I'm assuming you sanded just a bit of the saddle and did not really shave the bridge.

Offline Busterplays

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
The bridge is fine. I filed the bottom of the bone saddle just 1/64 of an inch making sure it remained level and flat so as to make a good even contact along the entire bottom of the saddle. The action may have lowered slightly. The nut fell off when I removed the stock strings so I used a few small drops of hyde glue to re-install after I sanded the nut clean with 2000 paper. I also applied some graphite to the slots and cleaned them as well. I also polished the frets to improve the feel but the fret work was good, with no sharp edges. I hope the tone continues to open up over time.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
Congrats Buster! Keep us posted...

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »
Buster, I just received another of the new Washburn line, a mini-jumbo.  The WMJ 11S was in the D10 lineup on the previous acoustic instrument webpage, but I can't find it now.  There is a WMJ 11SCE model on page 2 of the mahogany series section, here:

http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/wd10-series/Page-2.html

My experience with the instrument, which I have had only a couple of days, is very similar to yours.....well made, nice details and attention to detail in construction, received from Jon at Funky Munky Music in great playable condition (I had them do a setup on it before sending it on out to me).  

I don't see the WMJ 11S in the current webpage section, I hope this doesn't mean it has been discontinued.  I'm quite impressed with it, I think it may well be the equal in many ways of my Yamaki built D61SW.  I hope to post a review of it soon (technical problems with the library towers not reading my card reader).

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500

Offline Pike

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
quote:
I'm quite impressed with it, I think it may well be the equal in many ways of my Yamaki built D61SW.
That's good to hear Dug...

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
really good to hear.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

quote:
I'm quite impressed with it, I think it may well be the equal in many ways of my Yamaki built D61SW.
That's good to hear Dug...

Very nice.  Seems like the gang is adding a few new washies to the herd.

Offline philpm

• View Profile
WD Series Guitars
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
New member, and just got my first Washburn, a WMJ11S, from FedEx this afternoon.  Dugly, I'd definitely agree with you.  This is one of the nicest acoustics I've ever tried.  I actually started out looking at the WD11S at Funky Munky last week.  Came home just to check out what else I could find in the line and ended up finding one on Amazon for an absolute steal of a price, so I grabbed it while I could.  It sounds just like the WD I tried, and is much better sized for my hands.  I can't wait to get down to some serious practicing on this thing.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV