Username: Password:

Author Topic: USA Acoustic wish list...  (Read 12039 times)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
USA Acoustic wish list...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by WB-Nick

quote:
Originally posted by evenkeel

Interesting post.

I've mentioned this before but it has always intriqued me why the slope shoulder dread market is so under represented.  Seems like Gibson owns this but every body has a square shoulder dread.

So I would at leat try a spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood slope shoulder dread.  All solid woods, natural and burst finish, 14 frets clear, but a short scale.  Cumberland headstock shape

the one i'm waiting on a quote for is slope shoulder, spruce/mahogany all solid with burst finish.

That's great Nick.  I'll be curious to see if it makes it to market.

Offline Noun0

• View Profile
Re: USA Acoustic wish list...
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
After the 2003 series (D78, D80, D82, D84) for the 120 years, what would be the US made line for the 130 years ?
Washburn D82SW  & D55SW Cherokee
Eastman E10D
Guild JF30
Gibson EC30 BKE
Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
G&L Legacy HB
Telecaster CS US Jerry Donahue

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
I'll play the devil's advocate, here:

Anything EXCEPT a dread....it's all you find on the market, Washburn needs to incite interest in something that the public can't get from others.

As for tonewoods, obviously all solid-woods, but y'all know I'm a fan of cedar tops over spruce, so I'll ask for cedar.  My cedar/rosewood C124SWK has great tone, as does my Epiphone AJ500RC, so please consider that tonewood combo!

I'm with Keel re: slope shouldered guits....right now the one that speaks to me is an Epiphone Masterbilt product, called an "Advanced Jumbo" b/c of the location of the bracing relative to the position of the soundhole.  It is in no way a "jumbo" guitar, very similarly sized to a dreadnought, but it is a 12-fret free design---that enlarges the upper bouts and improves volume, although not as "large" as a jumbo it seems to have greater volume and much better projection than any dread I own.

Hate to say it, but considering the success of the older D10S series, I still assert that an all-solid wood version of the D10S, with the added features of the D10SDL, would be a door-buster for the retailers.

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »
So I would at leat try a spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood slope shoulder dread.  All solid woods, natural and burst finish, 14 frets clear, but a short scale.  Cumberland headstock shape
I hear ya' Keel. Washburn did a nice job putting out this D56SW englemann/koa slope shoulder southern jumbo, forward shifted scalloped trilite bracing... something like it'd work.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
I'm with Keel re: slope shouldered guits....right now the one that speaks to me is an Epiphone Masterbilt product, called an "Advanced Jumbo" b/c of the location of the bracing relative to the position of the soundhole.  It is in no way a "jumbo" guitar, very similarly sized to a dreadnought, but it is a 12-fret free design---that enlarges the upper bouts and improves volume, although not as "large" as a jumbo it seems to have greater volume and much better projection than any dread I own.

The 12 fret clear "AJ" traces it's heritage to the Roy Smeck Gibson Guitars of the late 30's and early 40's.  These guitar have gotten a boost lately as Gibson has done a Jackson Browne Signature guitar, based on Brownes collection of Smeck's.  The original Smeck guitars were set up for Hawaiian lap style playing.  Most of these old Smecks have been converted to "Spanish" style by changing the nut, adding metal frets and putting on an intonated bridge.

Like Dugly I've got a bit of GAS for a 12 fret, slope shoulder dread.  Not a lot of them out there and the companies that do offer them (Gibson, Santa Cruz, etc.) are at the high end of the price scale.

Pike, love the slope shoulder Washburn.  That is a spectacular looking slope shoulder dread.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
MarkD has some of the 5000 series '30's Washburns. Very similar to the Smecks I think...

ship of fools

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:49 AM »
Wow that is one very nice slope you have there Pike, is that from the mid 90's.ship

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
yep, '95 Bourgeois built...

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
MarkD's answer to my Smeck style inquiry...

There were not really any 12 fret Washburns like the
Gibson Roy Smeck style that I am aware of.  In the mid to late 30's Tonk
Bros - the owner of the Washburn name and wholesale distributor - had Regal
making most of the Washburn line - and Regal made a few 12 fret Hawaiian
models that are somewhat Smeck-like, but all that I am aware of were sold
under the Regal name. They were however, nearly identical bodies and
configurations to the same era Washburn model 5244 and 5246 slope dreads,
but not labeled as Washburns.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
Anything EXCEPT a dread....

Yeah. 

Well, not ANYTHING. ;)

000, 12 fret, 1 3/4 nut, slot head, bone nut and saddle with Grover or Waverly tuners.  Spruce and mahogany.  NO---cut a way, electronics*, distressing, or wierd inlays.

*I could live with a hidden Fishman Aura.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »
Here's a D34S 12 fret slot head spruce/mahogany. Had one, wasn't impressed.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
My 12 Fret D impressed me to no end.  I always wished it was a 000.  The only thing I couldn't do with it was splint up Cheryl's broke foot.

So I sold it to buy a cast.

Crap.

If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:50 AM »
Cheryl's broken foot, ya, ouch Greg... good sale...

Offline wn50 d10s12 h1260 ej200

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Wish list!That's on par with asking for an opinion.Okay,let's pretend my wife lets me buy more instruments,and next year's tax return is about double of this year's(hey,you brought the w-word into it).Butterfly bridge,Cumberland headstock,14 fret clear,grand concert body,cream binding-neck and headstock included,diamond -shaped fret inlays(preferably wooden),Grover 14:1 gold coloured tuners,mahogany back and sides.Hold your hats,because now the best part-ADIRONDACK top,rock maple neck,ebony for the bridge and fretboard.Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin!Now,lightly fog the top with transparent amber nitro,clear the back,sides,and neck,headstock veneer to match the bridge.And Washburn owners get first dibs.If you make one with maple leaf fret inlays for the Canadian market,tell me where to sign up,and if you'll take my Avalanche in on trade!Wow!Now I'm spent!Peace,out,play safe!-Jamie.
wn50,d10s12,h1260,ej200

Offline Noun0

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 05:27:57 AM »
Some news from NAMM, a "Warren Haynes" Jumbo  :P

Washburn D82SW  & D55SW Cherokee
Eastman E10D
Guild JF30
Gibson EC30 BKE
Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean