Username: Password:

Author Topic: USA Acoustic wish list...  (Read 8675 times)

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
USA Acoustic wish list...
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »

IF Washburn decides to offer USA made acoustics again, what would be on your 'Wish List'?  Woods, headstock and bridge style, finish, electronics, etc.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
Interesting post.

I've mentioned this before but it has always intriqued me why the slope shoulder dread market is so under represented.  Seems like Gibson owns this but every body has a square shoulder dread.

So I would at leat try a spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood slope shoulder dread.  All solid woods, natural and burst finish, 14 frets clear, but a short scale.  Cumberland headstock shape
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:35:20 AM by evenkeel »

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Good topic Greg. I'd like to see a nitro finished dreadnaught, solid rosewood back and sides, forward shifted scalloped bracing under an englemann top, with a small maple bridgeplate and a dovetail neck joint...

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:16:04 PM »
I agree with Pike and keep the bling minimal,By the way I got a slope alverez Yairi a while back they are out there.I find a lot of Bling distasteful.
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »
Everything Pike described, except in a smaller size, like a  Festival series, with a different cutaway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:11:53 AM by nogin007 »

Offline Noun0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
I agree with Pike too, Englemann/rosewood dread, and maybe a new Savannah ? (Slope shoulder/Koa)
Washburn D82SW  & D55SW Cherokee
Eastman E10D
Guild JF30
Gibson EC30 BKE
Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
G&L Legacy HB
Telecaster CS US Jerry Donahue

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »
Pretty much just an all-solid wood version of my beloved F10S. Just keep the bling to a minimum.

This is just excessive: http://guitarinternational.com/2010/11/02/look-back-at-the-millionth-martin-guitar/

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ripple

I agree with Pike and keep the bling minimal,By the way I got a slope alverez Yairi a while back they are out there.I find a lot of Bling distasteful.

I know other companies do slope shoulder dreads.  Recording King, Blueridge at the mass market level, Bourgeois at the upper end.  Just seems so under represented.  But given the response from the gang, probably the right thing to do.

FWIW I agree with the construction/finish options Pike mentioned.  Nitro, dovetail, bracing etc..

Offline Busterplays

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Solid wood dread body with white bound neck, head, and body. High gloss thin Nitro finish, solid spruce top, choice of mahogany or redwood side/back. Bone nut and saddle, dovetail neck, good tuners 18:1 ratio with case. Optional electronics. MSRP $1650 street $1200. Look at Martins D16RGT street price 1250. Epi Masterbilt(not USA but lower pricepoint)??? Offer a better finish and tuners and it would be a winner.

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by evenkeel

Interesting post.

I've mentioned this before but it has always intriqued me why the slope shoulder dread market is so under represented.  Seems like Gibson owns this but every body has a square shoulder dread.

So I would at leat try a spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood slope shoulder dread.  All solid woods, natural and burst finish, 14 frets clear, but a short scale.  Cumberland headstock shape

the one i'm waiting on a quote for is slope shoulder, spruce/mahogany all solid with burst finish.

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
i'll keep all of this in mind as i'm working on the line up.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
quote:
the one i'm waiting on a quote for is slope shoulder, spruce/mahogany all solid with burst finish.
That sounds like a winner too Nick...

Offline THEE HAMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by WB-Nick

i'll keep all of this in mind as i'm working on the line up.

Awesome. I just bought a USA d.55sw cherokee at auction and it is the finest acoustic I have ever laid hands on. If Washburn were to bring some USA acoustics back into production it's be great to have a

-Standard dreadnaught, solid woods, spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony board, tasteful inlays and an elegant headstock. Having one to compete with each level of the competition would be wise.

perhaps a Martin D-16/Gibson j-45 alternative for around 1200-1500, a D28/Hummingbird alternative at 1700-2000 and a D-45/Vos alternative at 2500-3000

having a slope shoulder dread, a jumbo j-200 style that doesn't look wacky, and a nice parlor model would be cool if you were going for a well rounded line.

I worked at a Washburn dealer until recently and we always got compliments on the D-10's and other import washburns, but when people came in looking for a Taylor/Martin/Gibson alternative we had to point them elsewhere.
There IS a HUGE acoustic market that loves new offerings, but I feel like they miss out on the washburn stuff and have been turned off at the fringe designs that have been available in the past few years. My first guitars were all washburns and my favorites still are. There are many out there who feel like I do and love the brand like family (hope that doesn't weird people out). If Washburn is interested in re-entering the fray i'm all for it, they Just need to take it seriously while still doing things slightly differently. I'd love to have some new Washburns to back up my Cherokee at bluegrass gigs.

Last thing, it'd be really interesting if you could get another up and coming luthier to do a special run like the Bourgeois guitars.
References on jemsite
The HAMMER on almost every forum

Offline THEE HAMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:38:39 AM »
Also the perfect one in my book would be a standard Grand Concert style, Spruce Top semi gloss natural, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck with a satin finish, flame maple binding, slotted headstock (taylor gc8/martin style), no electronics... but if they were mandatory make them as small as possible like the taylor system, 14 frets to body, ebony board, oval MOP inlays, butterfly ebony bridge with ebony bridge pins, abalone or herringbone rosette. That would be a tough sell for most people but the GC series always were best sellers.

Also, please bring the butterfly bridge back, people poing it out above everything else on my guitar and the feel and shape of it is just sensual. If only on the top of the line guitars it'd still be an awesome washburn touch.
References on jemsite
The HAMMER on almost every forum

Offline Busterplays

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
I agree that there is a market for such guitars. I remember playing a Washburn in a store back in the early 80's and thought to myself that it played as nice as a Guild or Martin. I dont remember the model but the impression stayed with me all these years. I went back to buy it and it was gone. I ended up with a Martin d35 that was very nice, but the Washburn of that time was right there.