Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm in lust  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
I'm in lust
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
I just picked up a friend's Taylor model 710 and it was instant lust!  Besides sounding good, it's playability was superb.  The neck seemed very thin and flat (not v-shaped) and the action was very low, pushing the strings down was effortless.  I asked her if she had ever had a setup performed on it and she said no, it was like this when I bought it new.  I've had several new acooustics, even a $2ooo Martin and none of them came close to this one's playability, so naturally I'm depressed, I can't afford $1800 for a Taylor 710! [:(]

So are there any Washburns with similar characteristics that are more affordable?
Ray

Antique Washburn Parlor, Model 5200

Music is best when it's played around a campfire!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
I'm in lust
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »
Ray, I don't think you'll find the playability you're looking for in the present lineup.  Taylors tend to use fat frets, which I like  b/c it results in exactly what you're describing, an easy playability.  If any Washburns use oversize frets, I'm not aware of them.

I have an Epiphone Masterbilt with a V-Neck.  I didn't like it at first, but now I find myself really appreciating the deep-V.  It helps remind me to keep track of the pad of my thumb!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pining

• View Profile
I'm in lust
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
My Maton never had a set up and it sounds perfect.
(If only that I could match it...)