Username: Password:

Author Topic: hey all  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Texas Flatpicker

• View Profile
hey all
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
Well, I havent been on in a while and it appears no one else has. Are there any pickers around North Houston on here?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
hey all
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
I'm still here....well, sorta....I'm in Kansas right now, but due to return back to TX later this week.

I spend a lot of time in Huntsville these days....maybe we can connect.  There's a little bar in Huntsville that has an open-mic night, but it's wierd....I think it's Tuesday and it doesn't start until around 10 PM.

College kids....go figger, eh?

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500

Offline Texas Flatpicker

• View Profile
hey all
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
LOL I usually start heading to the bedroom around 9.....Thats a little far for me on a week night.
I did find a nice jam on the 4th Saturday in Tomball. Air conditioned and indoor plumbing. Cant beat that. Starts around noon I think.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
hey all
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
I've been spending quite a bit of time in Huntsville lately....there's a small cafe that just started up their open-mic night again, the Potato House. I played their open-mic night Wednesday, they had 8 pickers sign up and we each got a couple of turns at the mic.  Nice little place with good food, a full bar, and a nice little deck outside for the smokers. Sign up starts at 8PM, the first picker(s) get up around 8:30.  They have a nice Tak bar guitar if somebody wants to play and doesn't have their own.  I didn't see any electric guits, but all the acoustic guits were juiced.  I asked about micing an acoustic (classical) without a pickup, the host didn't really seem to be too enthusiastic about that.

Lizards, the bar I mentioned above, has discontinued their open-mic event until the college kids return from summer break. They are looking for someone to host it, too....so, no idea if it will ever start back up again.

If you like bluegrass (and what flatpicker doesn't?) you really ought to join us at Pearl, TX some weekend for their monthly bluegrass event...the first Saturday of the month, except September, when it is the second. DTOM has been there, as have Shiner and CB.  It is a real low pressure weekend (although the real serious pickers start to pull in on Thursday and don't leave 'till Monday morning).  There are places for RV's with full hookups, an area where tent camping is encouraged, and if you're more comfortable in a motel room Gatesville is pretty close (about 25 minutes east). If you'd like to see more about it, do a forum search for a thread titled Texas Washies, authored by Pappy.  It's a long thread, but has plenty of photos of not only the Pearl venue but also us forum members who have been able to meet up there.

Glad to see you're still around....I may get in touch with you re: the Tomball open-mic opportunity, but it'll be a while, maybe October.  I'm getting ready to go to Winfield, KS for the 40th anniversary music festival....read all about it:

http://www.wvfest.com/

...yep, that's THE Tommy Emmanuel!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500