Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help me identify a Washburn D-18?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Crawdad

• View Profile
Help me identify a Washburn D-18?
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »
Hey everybody, I'm trying to identify a guitar I recently inherited from my grandfather.  He played and purchased guitars throughout his life, and I never took the time to ask him where any of them came from.

I'm guitar illiterate (though I intend to pick it up now), so I don't really know anything at all about the thing, so pardon my ignorance.

Directly inside the sound hole is a D-18, which I assume is the model. What's stumping me is that there are two, what I assume to be, serial numbers inside.

The one directly on the inside, above the D-18 says 91193, while the other is perpendicular to the neck is 806101.   Any help I could get in identifying when or where it's from would be appreciated.  He spent some time in Korea and Japan, if that helps at all.

Thanks in Advance!

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »
Hi Crawdad, could you post some pics?

Offline Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »
Sure, Here's a few pictures:

Offline Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
I should probably mention, it's strung backwards on purpose, had a friend help me string it for my left handedness.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
Looks like a MIJ D18M, except that guitar had open circular brass fret markers and nut along with the other brass hardware yours has...

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum gang.  Pike's our resident authority on all matters washie.

One thing to consider.  As you noted, your D-18 is a right handed guitar.  Simply inversing the strings does not make it a proper left handed guitar.  You, need to inverse the bridge/saddle and the nut.  This is a job for a luthier and frankly not relly worth it given the likely value of your guitar.  So, if the guitar is important as a family heirloom, get the guitar converted properly.  If not, get your self a proper lefty guitar.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:54 AM »
Yep, what Keel said. Look at the way the strings go over the nut. Not good...

Offline jerrylee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
I have one exactly like this ... #91195... only slightly more worn... great sounding... no paper lable, just the serial #, washburn logo and D-18 embossed into vertical back center brace.  Just bought it from an 78 yr old hobbiest who used to play with Bill Monroe  and the boys (he said) at informal gatherings on Bill's Bean Blossom farm.  Believable, he has lived in bean blossom for all these years and as I understand it, such informal gatherings at Bill's were very common. Like yours it has brass nut, saddle, bridge and butt pegs. I read a review where a fella rplaced the brass with bone and could not discuern a difference.... close your eyes and you'd think it a martin... reminds me of my fathers old Kalamazoo.  

Pike, you made a very specific model reference ( MIJ D18M) but our units have no such specific markings... its as crawdad said only the D-18...  Pike, do the serial numbers tell us anything?   Unfortunately I have no papers with mine.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
The MIJ stands for Made IN Japan. It's not part of the serial number.