Username: Password:

Author Topic: Festival series history?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline EternalNovice

• View Profile
Festival series history?
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
Hi all!

I purchased an EA20 new sometime around 1991ish.  I still have it, and likely will for the rest of my life.

Today, I ordered a brand new EA20S12DLK.  How has the series changed since I purchased my first one?  Are they still made by the same craftsmen in the same place?  It looks like the electronics are different.  Is that for better or for worse?  What differences can I expect?

Thanks experts!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:37:39 AM by EternalNovice »
-Chris

binder1

Festival series history?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:53:23 AM »
The 1991 EA-20, that you own, was likely made in Korea.  If you bought it new in 1991, there should have been  a sticker on the back of the headstock that stated country of origin.
The EA-20S-12DLK was discontinued about 18 months ago, so the one you just bought is probably New Old Stock. (NOS) Country of origin should be stamped on the sticker inside the guitar. (Probably China or Indonesia)  The first 2 numerical digits of the serial number will be the year of manufacture.
Different builders (craftsmen) and different countries of origin.
Don't know about the electronics, but I think the 1991 EA-20 is probably the better built guitar of the two (craftsmanship wise).

Offline EternalNovice

• View Profile
Festival series history?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, binder.  It's greatly appreciated.

It's disconcerting to hear that the quality has slipped...  When I bought my first festivel 20 years ago, the store I bought it from had to send it back twice due to defects in the finish.  I hope this new one is ok.  I guess in the very worst case, I could always sell the new one and keep my eyes open for one of roughly the same vintage as my original.

-Chris