Username: Password:

Author Topic: Factory Seconds? Quick opinions please!  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
Factory Seconds? Quick opinions please!
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Quick, I need some opinions!  How do you all feel about purchasing Factory Second guitars?  The one I'm looking at on ebay is described as having a few blemishes and surface scratches but is brand new.

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:38:25 PM by Lunaray »
Ray

Antique Washburn Parlor, Model 5200

Music is best when it's played around a campfire!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
You lose the warranty. How often have you needed to take advantage of the factory warranty on a Washburn?  Is it a big loss?  

I guess the answer is that it would be a big loss if the Factory Second item had more than just a few blemishes and surface scratches.

Is this a well established model, like the D10S, or is it one of the new ones?  I got a new WMJ11S and it is a great guitar, but I ordered it from Jon at FM and he had his in-house tech thoroughly inspect the guitar before he shipped it to me.

Will the seller freely accept the guitar in return if you should not be happy with the nature of the blemishes, or it a no-refund, no-return purchase?

I would have fewer reservations if there were a good return policy.  Get it in writing, pay with PayPal and don't be afraid to dispute the charge if it doesn't work out.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »
Thanks Dug, it's not a Washie and really, it's so cheap I'm probably worried about nothing ($219), $299 New New!  It's a knock around guitar anyway, I just don't want cracks or anything that will affect function.  I can probably polish the hell out of it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:20:53 PM by Lunaray »
Ray

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lunaray

Thanks Dug, it's not a Washie and really, it's so cheap I'm probably worried about nothing ($219), $299 New New!

Ray, why not send Jon at Funky Munky a message through the forum.  My new WMJ11S ran under $200 delivered....brand new Washburn with full warranty.

He might just be able to make you a better deal, or match the deal you're looking at on a better guitar.  My new WMJ11S has become one of my favorite Washburns (tied for first place with my Washburn C124SWK), and I ordered it for a campfire guitar so I wouldn't be tempted to take one of my all solid wood Washies camping with me.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
Well I would Dugly, but this is a hybrid classical with a very narrow nut (1.75) and as far as I know, Washburn doesn't make anything like that.  It's an Ibanez AEG10NETNG.
Ray

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
Aaaah....got it!  That IS a very narrow nut for a classical....hybrid as in a classical style body with a radiused fretboard and a strut rod?

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]