Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA 22 still a bright and thin guitar plugged in?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Freeflow

• View Profile
EA 22 still a bright and thin guitar plugged in?
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
Recently I have been recording plugged in with my EA22 and noticed it was still a rather bright and thin sounding guitar.
With little low end.

This is normal for the thin bodied festival series with Equis II Pre-amps?

I checked out Nuno with his festival series guitar playing midnight express at it has the same sound.
A lot of top end bite to it.

Is this to be expected of these thin body festival guitars even when plugged in?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
I've heard a friend's Festival series plugged in, but he played it in an open tuning using a slide.  Not exactly the best reference, to say the least.

How about trying a couple of things....heavier strings, or PARTICULARLY a special set of bluegrass strings, which have heavier wound strings than standard gauge strings, but the same gauge steel-only strings.  Use a heavier pick, that sometimes pushes the bass a bit.

Good luck.  The only other Festival series guitar I've heard was played in an acoustic-only bluegrass setting, it was rather thin sounding, but that was to be expected.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:31:42 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
I used to own a EA festival series.  Mine did have the Equis II pre-amp.  Yes the guitar is a bit thin straight acousitc, also very bright.  But, plugged in I thought the guitar really came to life.  Still bright, certainly no low end rumble like a dread, but plenty of presence and enough bottom end to keep things in balance.

I'm going to assume you've adjusted the E.Q..  Dialed up the low end while cutting back a bit on the mids.  You should also check and make sure your getting fairly equal amounts of volume from all the strings.  If the individual saddle pieces are not making good contact, then you'll loose a bit tone and volume.

Finally, I replaced the plastic chicklet style saddle pieces with bone.  I cut each piece using a dremel tool  Time consuming, but not hard to do.  It made a lot of difference.  Gave the guitar a lot more sustain, improved the tone both acoustic and amped up.

Offline Freeflow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:01:40 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm beginning to see where the issues are coming from.
I am wanting a dreadnought sound when this guitar is not designed to give that full sounding jangle and rumble.
I am also using light gauged strings on this guitar as well which wouldn't help.
I am also recording in an open tuning to give a more 12 string effect.

I took the guitar to the Luthier for the reason of the thin sound it projects when plugged in besides the other issues I was having.
The Luthier made the guitar have more sustain by cutting into the bridge so the pressure of the strings is directly on the saddle.
But still the bright thin sound.
The EQ on the guitar is absolutely flat, I have increased the contour and level to 70%.

Here's an image of the modification the Luthier did to the bridge.

Some more information about my current recording setup:-
I am plugging direct input to the mixer as well so I am not going through a guitar amp.
The mixer, Alesis Multimix 4 USB is send out into the sound card which is an Infrasonic Quartet Pro Audio sound card.
I have the gain on the Mixer on 0 since I am using the gain on the sound card.
The mixer has the gutiar button enabled to give it a boost and I have enabled the high pass frequency.

I have added the above because I am not sure if there are any other contributing factors causing the current sound I have from the guitar plugged in.

If there are any ideas which will work towards the sound I am wanting to achieve from the new information I have given, post them up.

Cheers.

EDIT:-
Just tried recording with the High Pass off, turned back the level a bit, added an amp-sim to the rhythm tracks and put more weight into the strumming which is giving it a better sound.
So I'm getting there.

Just thought I'd add the Nuno track which sound a lot like what my guitar was sounding like
Here's the Link:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMcf63f7Ic
You can hear a lot of the pick percussive sound over the sound of the strings. (clatter-kichatter!)
This is what was bugging me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:09:57 AM by Freeflow »

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
The bridge ramps your luthier put on your guitar are a last measure against neck angle issues they do work I put them in my F15 and it added more down pressure to an already low saddle.

Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW Washburn D12S Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline Freeflow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Interesting, I don't recall the neck having angle issues.
Are you talking about the angle of the headstock?

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
Check out frets .com or do a search on guitar bridge ramps and it explains them , your luthier might have had his own ideas on improving your festival

Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW Washburn D12S Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
String ramps are typically cut when a neck re-set is borderline needed and/or the value of the guitar is less than a re-set.  If done properly (and the ramps look good to me) string ramps can delay a reset for years and years.

I did notice in your picture the individual plastic saddle pieces are worn.  Just like on my old EA.  Cutting new pieces out of bone, Tusq., corian etc. may give you a real boost in tone and sustain.  If you are playing in open tunings, with several strings tuned down (open D or G for example) then a switch to heavier guage should also help.  If you're playing in open E don't go with the heavier guage.

But, if you want that rumbly, dread tone, then nothing but a dread is likely to work for you.

Offline Freeflow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
I'll take a look at the site as soon as I can Ripple.

Replacing and making my on chicklet saddles will be a new task and a fiddly one by the sounds of things.
They are indeed worn.

I am currently tuned to DADDBD with a Kyser Capo on the 2nd fret to bring it back up to an open E tuning.
Might go and get some new heavier gauged strings while I'm out getting my LP back from the Luthier with replacement Grover Deluxe Tuners.