Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newby with XB-100 questions  (Read 2776 times)

Offline eldoryder

• View Profile
Newby with XB-100 questions
« on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
I just picked up a second-hand XB-100 (Serial #18071939).  The pots are noisy, and I've got a firm buzz when I hook it up to an amp.  What do I need to do here?  Are there schematics available for this?  Does Washburn sell new pots and pickups separately, or do I have to find another one of these to scavenge parts from?

Also, the finish of this bass is metallic lilac, near as I can tell, and I don't care for it.  I've always wanted a natural finish bass, so I am considering stripping the old paint, and sanding it smooth, and then just oiling the body.  Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I was wondering if I could add a second pickup to the existing split-pickups that are on this bass currently.  I suppose I would then need new pots to control this as well.  Anyone got any parts they'd care to sell?  Or can I get them through Washburn?

Sorry for all the questions.  I'm kinda new to basses.  I wanted to play bass when I was a teenager, and now....at 57 years old, I'm finally goint to try to learn.

Thanks for any info.

Mike Selvey
Nacogdoches, TX
Deep behind the Pine Curtain

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »
The pots probably need to be replaced - just take them to a tech and have them put new ones in.  It will cost around $15.  Any kind will work.  

You can take the finish off, but it is a lot of work.  The coats are probably thick with poly - expect a lot of sanding.  

Adding pickup required the body to be routed out.  This needs to be done by a professional if you are not familiar with wood working.  I recommend not doing this unless you really want that extra pickup.  

I would just take it to your local guitar tech and see what he says - get a quote.  Good luck.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
While the stripping the paint is hard work, it's worth it.

Often worth starting by scraping with a stanley blade, get the bulk off before sanding.

For sandin made sure you have a handheld orbital sander, makes things much easier.

I did it with my KC40, it's an awesome guitar!!