Username: Password:

Author Topic: SWRK 321 Parlor release date?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Dread That Thought . . .

• View Profile
SWRK 321 Parlor release date?
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »
Couple months ago I finally got a vintage SWRK 320 parlor.

What a fantastic little guitar generally, and even moreso when you consider the price, given that it's solid spruce and rosewood with an ebony bridge and fretboard! I played quite a few parlors -- the usual suspects, all at least 2-3 times the price, some 5 times -- before buying, and for my money none of them could touch the 320.

The main reason: the 320 has a traditional period sound. This parlor has a distinct voice, unlike all the others where the manufacturers seem to be trying to create a mini-dread sound (as if people only buy parlors for ergonomic reason). The reason I wanted a parlor in the first place was because I wanted a combination of the early 20th Century blues sound, but also the European minstrel sound that Ian Anderson is known for, as well as the delicate, almost Asian sound of someone like Steve Tibbetts. The 320 does all this, where no other parlor I played even came close.

Anyway, all that said, a question for Nick, or anyone else who can answer: any word when the SWRK 321 parlor will be available? It was announced at NAMM this spring and is currently listed on the Washburn site. I'd like to buy one so I can keep the 320 for funkier tunings.

Thanks in advance . . .

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:58 AM »
Hi Dread, welcome to the forum. Don't know about the 321 but your 320 sounds great, got any pics?

Offline Southside Bucky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
Yeah, well said, DTT...You pretty much summed up the 320's outstanding attributes in a single paragraph there.

One other quality feature I found with the 320 when comparing it to other Parlors, was its overall playability and feel...Personally, I find the wide, 'V' section neck very comfortable to play.

Looking at mine, the only thing I'm not really mad about, is the dark, red/brown finish...I wish I could've found one with a natural antique honey look.

If you haven't read it already, you might find this thread interesting: http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19011

All the best

Bucky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Thanks Pike and Bucky.

I've included a few photos for you Pike. Great guitar, and as with any new instrument -- in this case, due to the distinct voicing, as well as the ease of playability noted by Bucky (which I forgot to mention originally) -- this guitar has inspired me to write a few things that I mightn't have otherwise, just because the guitar seems to want to sing them.

Agreed, Bucky, about the traditional 1 13/16 wide and pronounced V neck. I love it, and so have a couple others who have played it. Knew I would as I already have a Martin HD-28 Vintage (whose V neck is not so pronounced) as well as Taylor 855ce 12er with a wide neck. So the Washburn combines the best of both -- a joy to play finger style. This definitely influences the musical places I go on it.

Regarding the finish, I actually like the red/brown, but my original post also speaks to your desire for a honey-colored (and perhaps also non-stressed) finish. The SWRK 321, according to Washburn, is basically a 320 with a honey-colored spruce top, and regular non-stressed finish and appointments throughout.

That's why I hope they bring it out soon, and plan to buy one as soon as I can. As noted, the 321 is already listed on the Washburn site in the parlors section.

Thanks again . . .

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g415/Amontillado1/DSCF0193.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g415/Amontillado1/DSCF0194.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g415/Amontillado1/DSCF0195.jpg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:32:29 AM by Dread That Thought . . . »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
Hi,

Couple amendments to the previous post.

The 321 is not, at least according to the online photo, honey-colored but lighter-colored spruce, almost Engelmann looking. When I originally enquired about it through a dealer I also asked whether it's glossy -- not sure on that point.

Also, I got the 320 neck width wrong. It's actually a little more than 1 7/8 wide . . .

Cheers

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dread That Thought . . .

Agreed, Bucky, about the traditional 1 13/16 wide and pronounced V neck. I love it, and so have a couple others who have played it.

That IS a nice combo!  My Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RC has a 1 13/16 neck with a pronounced V-neck (it is also a slot-headed 12 fret body style).  It took a while to get use to, but now I find that the V-neck reminds me where my thumb ought to be much more than my standard neck guitars!

The 1 7/8 neck is nice, also.  I spec'd my Breedlove Revival 000 with the 1 7/8 nut width option, wanted as close to a classical guitar with steel-strings as I could get.  They made me a beauty, with tones clear as a bell! I wish I had inquired about a V-neck option, but at the time I got that Breedlove I had never played a V-neck, so I couldn't have known what an advantage they would provide.

That 320 with the 1 7/8 wide pronounced V-neck sounds like quite the guitar!! I would love to test drive one.....[:p]

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Southside Bucky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dread That Thought . . .

The 321 is not, at least according to the online photo, honey-colored but lighter-colored spruce, almost Engelmann looking.

Yeah, it does look a bit pale, don't it?

Now if they were gonna do it in a mellow, slightly aged looking (but not distressed), honey finish with a different fingerboard inlay (preferably with stars and/or snowflakes), then I might be joining you in the queue to get one. As it is, I think I'll just have to make do with the one I've got.

BTW, thanks for the info about your other guitars DTT: Both very high quality instruments. I don't have any such 'benchmark' guitars to weigh my 320 up against, so it's really good to know that the 320 compares well with 'em.

Cheers

Offline DJN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
I bought this R321SWRK a few days ago. I should have it in about 2 weeks time. I'm hoping the tuners on this one are ok, as I've owned several distressed anniversary parlor models with quite poorly working tuners (but the guitars sounded great). I love the look of this R321SWRK model, and I've been hoping for years that they'd finally bring out a non distressed model.

When I receive this guitar I'll post a review, and also post a sound file of me fingerpicking the guitar.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
Looks great DJN.  Looking forward to pics and a review.

Offline DJN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »
Well I received the guitar a few days ago. The tone and playability of this guitar is first class.

Firstly I'll get some negative things out of the way. I bought this guitar on Ebay, and the way it's photographed and advertised led me to think that it was a non pre-aged or non distressed guitar... it's not. Everything except the soundboard is pre-aged and marked like on all the other recent Washburn parlor guitars. So you're definitely not getting a new looking guitar. Even the soundboard looks old ... but it's not marked or disfigured like the other pre-aged Washburn soundboards; the soundboard has the appearance of natural colored spruce.  But the soundboard looks like there's hardly any finish on it, I presume as an effort to make it look old (there of course IS finish on it, but it does mark VERY easily. I've already got 3 marks on it). Also, the guitar in the Ebay photos is not the guitar I received. When sellers use stock photos they should declare that.

But I absolutely LOVE this guitar. It's the best sounding Washburn parlor I've owned, and it plays great. The sharp V neck is marginally shallower than the other anniversary style parlors I've owned, although the width is the same at 1 7/8. The tone has lots of volume, clarity, bass, mids, trebles and is VERY responsive ... it's got it all. It's a fantastic fingerpicking guitar. Unlike on my other Washburn parlors, the tuners work OK on this guitar.

Here's a sound sample of me playing this guitar. At the moment I haven't got decent recording mics or equipment, so it's simply recorded via a $10 for Skype mic straight into my computer with the Audacity recorder (which is malfunctioning ... I probably need to download Audacity again).  I couldn't get very good volume, but at least it will give a basic idea of what the guitar sounds like. Recorded properly it would sound twice as good as this. http://picosong.com/BMF
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:49:05 AM by DJN »

Offline Southside Bucky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Never mind the quality mic, DJN,...that sounds great just as it is!

Very nice picking too...I half expected Robert Wilkins to come in on vocals.

Taken any photos of it yet?

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
Congrats on the R321SWRK and nice pickin'! Thanks for the details. Like you, on the basis of the marketing and photos, I didn't realize that the 321s are also distressed except for the top. I thought the 321 would be a full-on gentrified version of the riding-the-rails 320.

It’d really be great to see some pix of your guitar to get a better idea of what you’re describing.

No matter, these guitars, as I said in my initial post above, are incredible little instruments, regardless of their price. I’ve thought about upgrading the tuners and getting a bone nut and saddle, but at this point there’s no need to. I’m also still planning to buy a 321 at some point so I can keep either it or my 320 for alternate tunings. In fact, I was going to buy one last week but ended up buying a Limited Edition WG2S 0-body. If interested, see my post Hard-to-find WG2S Limited Edition w/case on Ebay at great price”.