Username: Password:

Author Topic: Amp for HP35  (Read 3004 times)

Offline firstshot425

• View Profile
Amp for HP35
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum, electric guitars and hollow body electrics.  Been playing a Gibson Hummingbird since...well for a long time.  Anyway, I just picked up this HB35 beauty from Ebay today.

I just play for my own enjoyment and am looking for an small amp for home use.  I will be mostly playing Blues on this rig along with some clasic rock.  I've been looking at the Roland Cube 40 XL and the Fender Mustang II.

I'm kind of leaning toward the Mustang II, but would like to hear what you guys think of these two amps as well as any other rcommendations you might have.

Thanks
firstshot425
firstshot425

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
Welcome Firstshot425. I was watching that guitar on ebay.I'm glad you won it. I have a Mustang 1, real nice amps, all kind of affects, and amp models. The 2 has more power. Its my amp that gets used the most,as its so portable. Also can be very loud, but is real clear. I also have a USA Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, And a Marshall half stack. And a Rockman X-100, rebuilt. That guitar is a beauty, thats for sure. Tom. P.S. Also have a N.O.S. Digitech GNX2. Also with the Mustang you can go online and down load new sounds and things for it.Plus you get some free software with it, that is really cool,your own little studio.[:)][:)]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:07:58 PM by t.y. »

Offline firstshot425

• View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Hey T.Y.

Thanks for the feedback.  Unless some as yet unknown issue raises its ugly head I'm more & more leaning toward the Mustang II.

Found the following on YouTube which provides a decent overview of the Fender Mustang II, Roland Cube 40 XL, Vox VT40+ and the Line6 Spider IV 30.  Kind of long, but worth a look/lesten.

The Ultimate Practice Amp Shootout - (PART ONE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw&feature=relmfu

The Ultimate Practice Amp Shootout - (PART TWO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXSmBXylWQ&feature=relmfu

Based on what I saw / heard, I'm thinking the Mustang II wins out for my intended purpose which, as I said, is primarilly Blues.  I also really like the fact that this amp comes with a computer interface and multi track recording software.

How do you think the Mustang would handle an acoustic guitar.  I've also got a '71 Gibson Hummingbird with a Fishmen Infinity pickup installed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:46:34 PM by firstshot425 »
firstshot425

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
I was never a big fan of the Vox VT30 modelling amp I had and I've ended up going in the opposite direction from these multi-function whizzy amps and have a Blackstar HT-1R.

I really really like this but you do have to deal with the fact that while you get tons of lovely valve tone in a tiny affordable package it really doesn't do anything else. At all.

There's no effects loop, no footswitch for the two channels and not even the usual bass/mid/high set of controls.

Normally I'm a gadget freak, but the stripped down nature of this has really worked for me.
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
The Mustang 1,handles my D10 just fine. Of course A real nice acoustic amp would be better, I'm sure, but mine sounds real nice. There is lots of room for adjustment in sound on these amps. Tom.

Offline firstshot425

• View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments.  I appreciate the insight I'm definitely going with the Mustang II.
firstshot425

Offline NickS

• View Profile
Amp for HP35
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
I have the VOX VT30 and the Fender settings and the HB-35 are magic together. IMO. I also have a Fender Pro Jr. With a BOSS RV-5 pedal that is really nice to my HB-35. I would have gone with the Cube given the choices.