Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1925 (?) Washburn  (Read 2843 times)

Offline arebin

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this model? I was originally told it was a ca.1925 Style B Washburn, but I'm having a difficult time verifying that as I decide what to do with the guitar.

It has the Lyon and Healy stamp on the back strip and model information on the back of the headstock:

No.306
X Style B
pat. apld. for

I've had it for about 10 years and I've never gotten around to addressing it's issues. Sounds fantastic, but the action is to high to properly play it.

Thanks for any help.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
Looks on photo #2 as if the heel of the neck has pulled away from the body a bit...that would explain the high action.

You'll need to have the neck reset.  Otherwise, it is in fairly good condition, so I'd keep it as a player if it were mine. The pre-war Washburn parlor guitars have a reputation for good sound!

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline arebin

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
Yes, it will need a neck set. It has had a previous reset that seems to have went poorly; there is a heal crack/break. I'm very much hoping that the reset wasn't epoxied.

It will also need a new nut made. Another odd thing to me is the compensated string through bridge. I did not think this was original until I got a good look at the (unaltered) bridge plate to see no previous bridge pin holes.

I'm also looking for recommendations for a luthier that would take on the guitar. It really is an exceptional x braced guitar in my opinion.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »
Nice old L&H parlor.  I have a style G from the same era.  Check out the thread.
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19693

Your dating estimate is probably pretty close.  For what it's worth the style letters go from A to G.  A being the most ornate with more expensive woods to the plain jane style G.  I would guess yours is made w/ spruce and Brazilain rosewood. Well worth spending the dollars to put her in playing shape.

Offline arebin

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'd read your thread earlier and enjoyed it very much. I suspect that Style G is a great sounding guitar.

I wish I could find more information about the bridge on this one. Your thread mentions that your Style G came originally with a pin bridge. That's what I would have expected from this guitar.

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
The Style B is pictured in Hubert's book on Vintage Washburn history (you need to buy the book -its a must have) in a Lyon & Healy catalog from 1923-24 - the catalog shows the Style B as well as the Style A on the same page as having the traditional Washburn Smile shaped pin bridge - so it looks like yours has a replacement bridge.  

Mark

Offline arebin

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the book suggestion Mark. It's funny that yesterday morning my brother sent me a link to the same book and had just bought it (he's got really nice Tonk Washburn).

I also really appreciate your information concerning the bridge. I wanted it to put a smile bridge on it, but I wasn't sure that would be correct.

robin

Offline arebin

• View Profile
1925 (?) Washburn
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
I've sent the guitar to Dave Strunk in PA. I'm really looking forward to the magic he works on this neat old guitar.