Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello! and is this a decent enough price...?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline ryanh1418

• View Profile
Hello! and is this a decent enough price...?
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
First off, hi to all. Hopefully I'll be joining the club soon. A quick intro: I've never been a serious guitar player - nothing more than making a racket when I was still at school - but more than a decade has passed without playing and I recently became a dad so thought it was a good time to fetch my old Squier Stagemaster out of the loft and have a proper go at learning.

I've never had an acoustic and the D10 soon cropped up as being a good place to start. Unfortunately it seems it's impossible to find the old D10 here in the UK now so I'll have to settle for the new WD10.

I've had a look at one in the local music shop today and it's easily good enough for what I need. Looked and felt good, was nicely set up with a low action and sounded very nice (to my untrained ear). At my stage of things I'm sure the D10 vs WD10 would be purely cosmetic.

The ticket price is $160 and they agreed to provide a Kinsman hard foam case for $200 total. I doubt this is much of a deal by USA standards but this is rip off Britain! What does everyone else think? Is this reasonable value??? Online prices are cheaper but not by as much as I thought. imuso.co.uk is an exception currently selling for $120 +P&P.

I'm leaning towards doing the deal tomorrow morning (payday!) because I'm sure there must be advantages to getting 'in' with the local shop staff in the long run that's worth the extra few quid. I just need a bit more convincing!!

Cheers for reading and for any thoughts.
Ryan

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
Welcome Ryan. Here in the U.S.A. WD10SCE's go for around 250.00. And you can still by NOS,D10's 175.00 or around that price. I would Guess, that with shipping, it would not be a good deal on WD10's.But if you really want a D10, cant you find one used? The WD10SCE is a really nice looking and sounding guitar. IMHO. it is the best medium level guitar you can buy.And they even have Fishman in them, that really work well.So I would say,if the guitar and case, come to the same as 325.00 or so dollars, go for it. Tom.[:)]P.S. For me it is worth the extra few bucks,to have the stores support, and they get to no what you like.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:12:19 PM by t.y. »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
Tom's right, buy from a local mom and pop organization if you can.

The establishment of a business relationship will benefit you two ways...they will try much harder than some faceless internet company to make sure you are happy b/c they want your return business, and they will also be there when you need them should something go wrong (there are stories about problem dealings with the major internet conglomerates, believe me!!).

IMHO the D10S is a bit more substantial guitar than the WD10S.  I've had both in my hands and the D10S is heavier and has a bit better projection, to my ears. If there's a D10S abailable anywhere close, play it and you might agree it might be worth a bit more...to each his own, though, I always say!

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ryanh1418

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
Tom, Dugly, thanks for the replies. I think it's what I wanted to hear really!
Tom, I've looked everywhere for used D10's but failed miserably. I was watching one of the exotic wood ones on flea bay for a week but got outbid in the last few seconds, which was pretty gutting. And you're right, the shipping from the states makes it uneconomical. Plus I don't want to wait for delivery now!!

I reckon I'll be waiting at that music shop door with several pieces of paper with the Queen's face on come 9am tomorrow.

Just gotta stick with it this time and hopefully I'll stick around here!

Thanks again.
Ryan

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Ryan,let us no how it goes. Tom.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum gang. [:D]

D10 or WD10, both are terrific bang for your buck (or pound or Euro) guitars.  Let us know what you decide and if a new washie comes home, pics are always welcome.