Username: Password:

Author Topic: RS Guitarworks pre-wired kit for Wi66?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Hawaii69

• View Profile
RS Guitarworks pre-wired kit for Wi66?
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
I've read a lot on here about removing the VCC and cheap volume controls in a Wi66, and replacing them with better guts.  I've got
pretty good idea of what is required in terms of what I need to
do (bore out metric holes to 3/8, use long post shafts, etc).
I'd prefer to keep the soldering, and confusion, on my part to a minimum.  I was looking at the RS guitarworks prewired kits for
the Les Paul.

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/PREVINMODLON.html

Does anyone know if these kits, wired for the hole pattern
in an LP, will fit easily into a WI66?  Is the pattern/distance
of the holes pretty much the same? The important question is,
are the holes in the top of a Wi66 spaced further apart that they
are on an LP?  If they are closer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
My Guitars:
Quilt Blue WI66Pro
Alvarez RD20S

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »
Hey Hawaii, hope all is well. Glad to hear you're still enjoying the Idol.

I'd be SHOCKED if the LP kit wouldn't work, having said that, the selector switch on an LP is on the upper bout, and the 66 has it right there with  5th hole (more like a 335)

RS has a fantastic reputation. There is another company I've worked with however that you may consider. They do what RS does. When I contacted them about a prewired kit for my Heritage 535 (Virtually identical to a Gibson 335, even made in the same Kalamazoo factory by the same dudes who made the Gibson's 'til '84) EXCEPT that the input jack is on the rim, not on the top.

Long story short, he asked me to send him a diagram with distances between holes, and he'd assure that it was made to spec, at no extra cost. My guess is RS would do the same for you, and if not, consider Mojotone.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-wiring-kits-gibson-style

Good luck and let us know how it works out. You probably already know I did mine and loved the difference.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:04:22 PM by Tio Kimo »
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Hawaii69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

I'd be SHOCKED if the LP kit wouldn't work, having said that, the selector switch on an LP is on the upper bout, and the 66 has it right there with  5th hole (more like a 335)

RS has a fantastic reputation. There is another company I've worked with however that you may consider. They do what RS does. When I contacted them about a prewired kit for my Heritage 535 (Virtually identical to a Gibson 335, even made in the same Kalamazoo factory by the same dudes who made the Gibson's 'til '84) EXCEPT that the input jack is on the rim, not on the top.

Long story short, he asked me to send him a diagram with distances between holes, and he'd assure that it was made to spec, at no extra cost. My guess is RS would do the same for you, and if not, consider Mojotone.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-wiring-kits-gibson-style

Good luck and let us know how it works out. You probably already know I did mine and loved the difference.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input.  I'll let you know how it goes.
My Guitars:
Quilt Blue WI66Pro
Alvarez RD20S

Offline Hawaii69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

By the way....you can probably play the bagpipes better than I can play the electric guitar (assuming you've never played the bagpipes).  When I do pick it up, it's just some power chords, and fooling around.  No one ever taught me to play it, so I've largely stayed away from learning.  I play my acoustic mostly, because learning an ever growing number of chords is easy, and sounds good.

After 7 years, I should be much better, but my growth has been horizontal for a while, and I'm just not very disciplined.....BUT...
I feel like I'm at a point where a little knowledge would got a
long way.  My hands seems to know what they're doing, and so does
my ear, to some degree.  I want to start taking lessons.  I think
I could really capitalize on them now.

When I do, I want an electric that lives up to its full potential.  When I've got an instrument that I love the looks of, and have full
faith in the sound, it will also inspire me to learn more.
My Guitars:
Quilt Blue WI66Pro
Alvarez RD20S