Username: Password:

Author Topic: OT - Bass gig  (Read 1525 times)

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »

OK, since I'm an acoustic guitar player and this is the forum for Acoustic Guitar Players to post comments...[:p]

...besides, I don't know anybody down in the Bass forum, and it's not a Washburn [:(]

Played my acoustic bass at church yesterday.  My mission was to make a 'boom' sound, and, mission accomplished!  It's not something that I would ever give up my 6-strings for, but it was kinda cool to play and got me some 'stage time'. Also I think it will be cool at acoustic get-togethers to add some bass to the mix.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »
A friend That plays bass wanted an acoustic bass, and had tried out a few, but he said they were more than he wanted to spend. I ran across one that had been traded in, and bought it for him. I think it was an Aria, only $200. He played it, paid me for it, and loves it. He has since bought a small Fender bass amp to use with it. He's about quit playing his semi-hollow body bass. And I have to admit, it does sound good.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
Nicely done.  If you can play bass you can really get some stage time.  Six string, hot shots seems to be a dime a dozen.  Bass players and drummers are always in short supply.

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
Go for it, man! Good on you!

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
Sounds like ya had fun Greg. I second what EK said bass players are hard to find.  a guy could get a lot of gigs if he wanted.  good for you trying something new.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
Right on Greg! One of the local repair men is an excellent picker. Makes his living on repairs and playing bass.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
OT - Bass gig
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:59 AM »

Thanks for the support, I really thought about it before I bought one.  In the end I don't want to get stuck playing bass but it's good to have another instrument under my belt.  It's also getting me to focus more on the fretboard which will help overall. It's easy to get into a rut of just learning chords and riffs as needed and not completely understanding the theory aspect.  I don't know if anyone ever used a capo on a bass, but I don't want to be the first, so also learning to transpose songs on the fly.  All in all it's been challenging me to spend some time on music rather than just playing.

Although I got a lot of compliments on how good it sounded, next thing is to change out the stock pickup with a piezo and upgrade the plastic saddle to Tusq [8D]. Just gotta tweak it![:D] Hopefully she will really sing!

Yep, we have several guitar players, and the regular bass player would rather play drums, so we're still working out roles.  

hmmmm.... this bass thing could play into my retirement income planning...

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention