Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pre-purchase questions for Cumberland 12 string  (Read 2753 times)

Offline mrneil2

• View Profile
Pre-purchase questions for Cumberland 12 string
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Cumberland 12 string.  My local music store has one that has been hanging on the wall for about 4 years.  I played it a year ago and was really knocked out by how easy it was to fret and the sound.  Wow.  I'm trying to do some research before I purchase.  Can you guys direct me?

It has black Grover tuners and the serial number begins CC090

Here are my questions:

1) Is there a big difference in quality when these guitars were produced?  Any year I should be looking for or leery of? How do you tell with the serial numbers.

2)Should I be looking for China vs Korea vs Indonesia? I remember growing up nobody wanted a Japanese Sigma guitar which are now more desirable then a Korean which in turn is more desirable then an Indonesian.

3) Do they all have the Buzz Feiten Tuning System?
4) Why do some have black tuning pegs and others are gold.  Does this have to do with year and country of origin?

Thanks, any info would be helpful.

Neil

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:46:18 PM by mrneil2 »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Welcome to forum land.  The serial number indicates the guitar was built in 2009.  But something is amiss if it's been hangin on the shop wall for four years[?][?] I would not worry to much re: country of origin.  Quality differences are minimal, if any at all.  Washburn has been a bit inconsistant re: the Buzz Feiten system.  For what it's worth I would not worry one way or the other, particularly with a 12'er.

So, if the price is right and given how long it's been hanging I'm guessing a deal is possible and you clearly like the guitar.... Go for it.

Pics when/if you buy are always welcome.

If you are interested, and still looking at this thread, this came up on the local Cl.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2699112485.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:01:53 PM by evenkeel »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by evenkeel

If you are interested, and still looking at this thread, this came up on the local Cl.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2699112485.html

Just a word of caution, Neil, if you are considering a used Washie.

The lifetime warranty is available to only the original purchaser and only if the seller was an authorized Washburn representative.  The seller on CL stated the guit comes with a lifetime warranty...it did for him, not for anyone who buys it from him (unless he is an authorized Washburn dealer, it is NOS, and the dealership has not sold the guitar).

These are truly gorgeous instruments, aren't they [^] !

Cheers from.....

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »
The serial number indicates it was built in China in 2009.