Username: Password:

Author Topic: WIN pickups  (Read 7750 times)

Offline mrleira

• View Profile
WIN pickups
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »
Folks,
Any comment over the Duncan USM? A friend has tried my guitar and he praised the pickups. I have a gold top WINSTD and I mentioned I might be changing the picks for a Gibson Classic or SD PAF/Distortion set.
He replied saying he would never change those picks, as they were very good. He owns a Epiphone Sheraton withy a pair of Gibson 57. I told him those picks were ceramic, according to Washburn. He stated he doubted it.
So, any info on those picks?

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
WIN pickups
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
The WINSTD Gold top uses Duncan USM HB-103 pickups. See description below.

Duncan USM pickups represent the latest collaboration between U.S. Music Corp. and Seymour Duncan. For decades, Seymour Duncan pickups have been recognized as the leader in after-market upgrade pickups as well as the OEM standard on the world's finest guitars. Duncan and USM have worked together for many years and have shared many artists along the way, including Nuno Bettencourt, Dimebag Darrell, Paul Stanley, George Lynch, Scott Ian, Warren Haynes, and many more.

Duncan USM Pickups are designed by Seymour Duncan's Santa Barbara-based engineers to USM's requirements and are only available on select Washburn and Parker guitars. Currently, Duncan USM pickups are available in two voices, the HB-103 and HB-102.

The HB-103 is a high output humbucker aimed at heavy rock, metal, thrash and punk players. It's an extremely aggressive pickup with powerful coil windings ceramic magnets, but it will maintain string-to-string clarity even under the punishing picking assault heavy music players subject their guitars to gig after gig.

The HB-102 is a classic hot rodded humbucker set that handles a wide range of styles from blues and classic rock to metal. The HB-102 bridge pickup has high-output coil windings and the neck pickup is backed off a bit. Both pickups use Alnico 5 magnets and are very musical with great high end detail.

The quality and musicality of Duncan USM pickups means a superb sounding instrument right out of the box, adding quality and value to your guitar and eliminating the need for upgrade electronics.

Offline mrleira

• View Profile
WIN pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:16 AM »
Thanks Webguy,
It is very hard for us in Brasil to try or check a real SD. It is way expensive because our import taxes. It doesn't matter if you play a guitar, which is not yours, with SD picks: you have to install into your guitar and play ...
I am under the impression those Duncan USM - if similar to Duncan Design, are of a very good quality. How distant from a SD I am not able to tell.
I have another Washy - well I own 5 guitars: J3, HB-35, MG20, WINSTD GT, X 50; all washy ... - a X50 which I installed a Alnico 5 high output brasilian made pickup. The bridge pickup is similar to DiMarzio Tone Zone. I don't know if the guitar characteristics, but it has a very high output, making the sound with less definition. But my Gold Top with ceramics has a more subtle sound.
Really difficult to grip!! I think the pickup over my X50 was a wrong choice:  Ineed something as Custom 5 or JB.
What do you think folks?

Offline Paul5992

• View Profile
Re: WIN pickups
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
Does anyone know what thread the new Duncan pickup adjustment screws are? Are they 3/48's or metric?

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
    • Facebook/Bernie Potaczek(BURF)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
I bought a brand new WIW14AWA, the bridge pickup quite working, its only 3weeks old, any answers, is there a fuse for this? I am a cancer patient and the closest place to fix it is where Ibought it, any helpappreciated,I dont know where this answer will show up, but if can post on my page? Thanks ANYONE, I LOVE MY WASHBURN, cant go without it...
Bernie Potaczek

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
I took my guitar to a mechanic and had it fixed, BUT, something isnt quite right yet, Isnt there a setting where both pickups will work at same time? Mine dont, its either one or the other with the 3 way switch, is that normal? How can I find out the pickup hieght...I need to know these things, I set the Intonation, its right on with the 12th fret, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME....PLEASE...Thank You, ...Bernie...I LOVE MY GUITAR(profile pic) Want it to work right..
Bernie Potaczek

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:00:35 AM »
I figured out through research, that the pickup heigth was, !/8" on Bass side...and 1/16...Treble side, measured from fretted string heigth. I then set my string heigth to, 0.300", After Retuning, Checked all measurements and made proper adjustments. The pickup heigth, MIGHT need to be adjusted to personal prefrences. IT SOUNDS AWESOME NOW...THANKS WASHBURN, FOR MY AWESOME GUITAR, I LOVE IT...Bernie
Bernie Potaczek

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW THAT MECHANIC TREATED MY GUITAR, I HAD TO TIGHTEN THE 3 WAY SWITCH, AND THE LINE OUT JACK, WAS LOOSE, I USED TO HAVE A HUM IN MY AMP WHEN I TURNED ON MY GUITAR, NOW ITS COMPLETELY SILENT, NO HUM AND MY GUITAR SOUNDS SO NICE...BUT, I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THE 3 WAY SWITCH WONT TURN ON BOTH PICKUPS AT THE SAME TIME, IS THAT NORMAL?....THANKS...Bernie
Bernie Potaczek

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
I would think that in the middle should be both pup's.  Tom.   :)

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »
I am trying to resolve my guitar issue, I sent Washburn my reciept and am hoping for a speedy reply as I miss playing my guitar. Washburn makes AWESOME products and I can't wait to get my issues resolved. I know Im not the only person in the world and dont expect Washburn to just drop everything and pay attention to my case,They have been VERY fair so far, I just can't handle the suspence, I tryed out the new model at the store where I purchased mine and MAN DOES IT SOUND AWESOME, Im hoping they will give me the new model in white, Thank You Washburn, I stillLove Your Guitars and cant wait to hear back from you...Bernie
Bernie Potaczek

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
If you bought this guitar from a authorized dealer, and your warranty is in order, and this is a warranty issue, than you will be ok.Every one that has had a legit claim on here,  was taken good care of.  I always make sure of were I buy from, unless I don't care about warranty.   Tom.    :)   P.S. Just reread your last post, when ever I take in a broke guitar, they just repair it. Such as a broke three way switch, or what ever the reason for pup malfunction.   :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:42:46 PM by t.y. »

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Washburn contacted me today, about my guitar issues. The Washburn Co. IS AWESOME, they were VERY PROFESSIONAL on the phone and were VERY QUICK to resolve my Problem,THANK YOU, WASHBURN, You are what AMERICA IS ALL ABOUT, What an AWESOME Co. I will ALWAYS BUY WASHBURN, Guitars, and Products, They Are GREAT...Bernie
Bernie Potaczek

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
WASHBURN Co.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
Yesterday I went to my cancer Appt. and had 2 bad test, This BUMMED ME OUT, I got home, all depressed, and was sitting watching TV, when all of a sudden...TO MY SUPRIZE, FED EX pulled up, BOY OH BOY, DID THAT CHANGE MY DAY, my new replacement guitar was HERE!..Washburn you made a cancer patient VERY HAPPY, I LOVE MY NEW ONE, AND..THANK YOU for a SPEEDY SOLUTION to my problems. If I looked up the word "American" in the dictionary, It would take me to the "Washburn Co." logo...Thank's Washburn, You are an AWESOME Co...Bernie Potaczek
Bernie Potaczek

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
Glad to hear you where taken care of, in such a timely manner.  This is one more story were it pays to buy from a place were you have a warranty.         Tom. :)

Offline Berniepot

• MY WIW14AWA WASHBURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
For some reason I cant find the online registration for my new Washburn, anybody have a LINK...?
Bernie Potaczek