Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sonic-7 / Tuning instability  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Quitty

• View Profile
Sonic-7 / Tuning instability
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »
Greetings forumites - new guy around the block and i'm realizing i probably put this in the wrong sub-forum.
I've recently acquired a Sonic-7 in a trade and it's been giving me trouble.
It's been going out of tune pretty often - it used to be virtually unplayable but through the last couple of weeks it's gotten better and now it's just not particularly stable - i'm looking for possible reasons, perhaps of the less common type.
It's a one-piece-maple-neck bolt on with a flatmount bridge and grover 18:1 tuners.
Used to be a buzz-feiten but has been sort-of converted back to normal by shimming the nut about a millimeter back - as the intonation was giving me a headache.

It used to be going out of tune every few seconds of playtime, the pattern to which was a lot like delayed floyd-shennenigans - i'd tune it up perfect, play a riff and the bottom strings would go out of tune. I'd retune it fully, play a riff and by the time i was done the top strings would go out of tune.
Rinse, repeat - and by 'out of tune' i mean up to an quarter tone, usually flat.

It kept going like that for a while... I restrung it 3 times with 3 different sets, lowered the pickups like crazy and the nut was filed by a guitar tech, so were the frets...
When it still wouldn't stay in tune for more than a minute of playing, i took the bridge and neck apart and reassembled and restrung it with a set of very well stretched Dunlop Heavy Cores with a low ernie ball 0.64, and now it can keep in tune for 10 or 15 minutes and only goes slightly out of tune, but still.

The bridge is a stock Washburn bridge with rollers for the strings and the neck is unfinished - perhaps completely unfinished.

What could be wrong? How can i debug this?
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
...But dignity is sifficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace.