Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Opa John

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
Hi guys (and gals)...I'd just like to introduce myself. Been lurking around here for a few days and kinda like the atmosphere, so I thought I'd join the party.

I'm retired from the telecommunications field and have been playing guitar since I was 17. I've played a few open mics and a lot of jam sessions, but that's the extent of it. Never intended to make music a job when I started out anyway.

My musical interests are mainly country, folk, bluegrass and blues tunes. Strictly acoustic...I've owned one electric guitar in my life and sold it 30 days after I got it. That was long enough for me.

I'd consider myself an intermediate player, although I should be better after all these years. I just like to have fun with the guitar, play along with others and entertain some friends once in awhile. In addtion to the guitar, I also play a little fiddle, mandolin and baritone uke. And, believe it or not, I've also played the accordion since I was 8 years old. Still play one but only once in a blue moon......when a polka mood strikes me. (Not very often) [:D]

I have four acoustic guitars right now, but none are Washburns. Came close to buying one several times, but didn't for various reasons. I have an old Fender F-65 that I bought new 30 years ago, a Yamaha FG730S that I bought new two years ago and a 10 year old Martin DM that I've only had for about 8 months. I've also got a little Yamaha classical that I play on occasion, but not often.

I hope to be able to contribute some worthwhile replies and thought provoking new threads from time to time. For now, I'll just sit back and pay attention for a few more days.....Cheers....Opa John [:)]

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I was born, raised, and lived my whole life in Columbus, Ohio.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:14:44 PM by Opa John »
1981 Fender F-65 Dread
2009 Yamaha FG730S Dread
2009 Yamaha CS40 Classical
2001 Martin DM Dread

Offline Pike

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
Hi John, welcome to the forum... Got any pics of your F-65?

Offline Opa John

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Hi John, welcome to the forum... Got any pics of your F-65?

Here's one. I've got a practically new HSC for it these days. The original chip board case fell apart years ago. It's an all laminated spruce and rosewood with hardly a scratch on it. Also has beautiful abalone purfling and rosette. It's been setup properly and has a bone saddle on it. Sounds more like a solid wood guitar than laminated. I've tried to sell it several times over the past couple of years, but it seems like nobody's interested in Fender acoustics. The last time I listed it on Craig's List, I had it priced at $200 (wouldn't take less) with the new HSC.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:39:47 AM by Opa John »
1981 Fender F-65 Dread
2009 Yamaha FG730S Dread
2009 Yamaha CS40 Classical
2001 Martin DM Dread

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
Welcome! Always good to have a new member, hope you stick around [:)]

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum gang.  Nice looking Fender acoustic.  You're right Fender never has received any real respect in the acoustic universe.  They did make some nice guitar over the years.  Sounds like you got a good one.

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
New Member Introduction
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:25 AM »
Welcome to the group Opa, bunch of pretty friendly people here!  I'm a retired IT guy too and like you, I've been playing guitar for most of my life so I should be better at it than I am.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of it though and that's what is most important.  Welcome again and have a very Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:17:00 AM by Lunaray »
Ray

Antique Washburn Parlor, Model 5200

Music is best when it's played around a campfire!

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Hey John, welcome to the forum.

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
Hey, John, welcome to the forum! [:)]

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
New Member Introduction
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Childbride

Hey, John, welcome to the forum! [:)]

+1!

There's a lot of us 'been playing for a long time and should be better but just love sitting down with an acoustic and playing' so you're in good company here.  You've ventured beyond just the acoustic guitar, so definite kudos for taking on multiple instruments!

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline wn50 d10s12 h1260 ej200

• View Profile
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
Hello,newer than me member.These guys are not only friendly,but scary knowledgeable.One of the reasons I signed up was comradery,and also to soak up info from these folks.And ,yeah,maybe in the back of my mind,I was looking ahead to our empty nest years,and thinking that this connected crew could help point me toward my next instrument purchase.I've since discovered that most of these folks are buyers,not sellers,but maybe when the time comes,that'll change!Enjoy your time here:always brings me a chuckle or two!
wn50,d10s12,h1260,ej200

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 02:08:58 AM »
Hello John.
I must admit that I've always liked the look of the Fender Malibu.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum gang.  Nice looking Fender acoustic.  You're right Fender never has received any real respect in the acoustic universe.  They did make some nice guitar over the years.  Sounds like you got a good one.

Totaly agree with EK, I own a fender mandolin, i was one of my first mandos. I still use it for practice and house partys but when you mention it around the "mando gods"  they treat it like its s**t. the same way they talk about washburn mandos.  i still think its OK and a great starter instrument.

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
magoo, I'm with you. My mandolin is a solid wood Fender, I like it, I just wish I could master it. I just gave a Fender accoustic to my oldest grandson, who is a much better player than I am. He was just commenting on what a great guitar it is. I also have a "72 thinline" Telecaster, that doesn't get the workout it deserves.  And of course my D10sce.  Murph