Username: Password:

Author Topic: Oscar Schmidt/ Washburn  (Read 7850 times)

Offline mikethefixitman1

• View Profile
Oscar Schmidt/ Washburn
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
I just came back from buying an  Oscar Schmidt /Washburn model number OE30/CH and a serial number of 104080071 Can anyone here tell me when it was made. I can already see it was made in Indonesia.
I dont have a practice amp yet but it dont sound bad as is.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Schmidt/ Washburn
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
 Welcome  Mike. Your first numbers usually are the year made. In your case 2010. I'm glad to see more people buying O.S. are posting . I have played with them at the store, but never owned one. I would like to hear what you think about them. Tom. :)

Offline RH Stepchild

• Sanity is a myth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
I'll be getting an O.S. WI 14 in a few days.
Updates will follow.

Any others red-headed stepchildren out there? ;D

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Welcome. And please tell us what you think. I no already that they look great. and play great. Just don't no what it is to play one more than a min, or so. no time to sit. LOL.    Tom.   :)

Offline RH Stepchild

• Sanity is a myth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
First...This is not my first guitar.Over the years  I've owned a Gibson L6S, a Peavey T-60, a Ibanez Iceman, and an Alvarez 12 string acoustic.

The new OI14 arrived yesterday. Upon first inspection all looks pretty good. I noticed the nut on the out-put jack was loose.Opened the back plate to secure the jack while tightening it and checked to see if all the connections were still good.

The old amp I had hoped to use turned out to be dead, so no plug-in check.An  IGTR amp will arrive any day.

**I'm posting a bit early because this thing HAS NO SERIAL NUMBER.....Thus, I can't register it with O.S. for the warranty.

Counterfeit?....The OI14  body and neck are copies of  the Wasburn Idol WI14, maybe they put some O.S.s in. 

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
I doubt a O.S. would be copied, that is usually saved for guitars worth in the 1,000,s. I would check with were you bought it from, so that the warranty is valid. Did you buy it from one of the main on line sellers?  If so the warranty should be good.   Tom.   :) :)

Offline RH Stepchild

• Sanity is a myth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
I never would've thought anyone would bother faking an O.S. either....But today I googled Counterfeit Guitars, with and without Wasburn, and it turns out that because  of  the crack downs by the Feds, the bad guys have started making less obvious brand knock-offs.Including Washburns.

I got it on Amazon from a store named Springdale Music in Ohio.

Other points that suggest fake besides the absent serial number are the neck is made of two pieces of wood, not one. The wood is bare and there is a clearly visible sharp-angled join between the third fret and the first.

Also, being a copy of the Wasburn WI14 (pic below), the OI14 should have the same fore-arm scalloped recess in the lower bout....Mine does not.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
I had a white WM23, it is the only guitar I truly regret selling.  I traded my 60th anv, Strat, for 800.00 trade in on my bike, I miss  it.  I went to there web site, and the guitars look legit,but who knows .     Tom.    :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
http://www.springdalemusic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_65&products_id=265   Man I have to think, been saving for some new 9 spoke crome rims for my bike.   But this is in black and a good price. I really like the red.  Does any one no if this a authorized Washburn dealer, it dos not say     Tom.   :).  I went back and checked some of my old post, this add has 3 flaws in it.   Tom.   :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:49:28 AM by t.y. »

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
The neck joint is standard practise for a lot of foreign manufacturers.  And being a cheaper version of the Washburn, it won't be exactly like the Washburn. It's probably not a fake, so play and enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:08:48 AM by nogin007 »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
I'm not seeing a whole lot of "crackdown," unless you're talking about what the Feds smoke in their spare time (i.e. while on the clock). So far this year, I've turned two sites over to Gibson legal for selling $350 "Les Paul" axes. Some of these under-$500 fakes even show up with ALL the case-candy -- hang tags, manuals, "Gibson"-branded inspection tags.

You're correct that the more-current OI14 should have the scallop... but I can't tell what they used to do. And I've had hands on a few Washburn Idols that DON'T.

I've bought a few mail-order electrics from stock photos. It's not at all unusual that they arrive with different knobs, pickplate colors, pickup rings, or even headplate logo. To date, though, the quality is what I expected. Sure, if I order a five-piece neck & get a one-piece -- or vice versa -- there might be some pointed questions directed at the seller.

I realy doubt that there'd be much traffic in counterfeiting an Idol -- the margin just ain't there.

If you feel you've been ripped off, send it back. But, really, that chances that it'll ever be collectible, much less increase in resale value, are about zero -- it's a good workmanlike axe, at a very reasonable price.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline RH Stepchild

• Sanity is a myth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
In the few days I've had this thing, I've pretty much come to love it....It ain't goin' nowheres.

The neck is blazingly fast and comfortable. And solid....It can take neck-bends and shakes, no sweat. (Almost in the Who Needs A Tremolo area).  The 'No-Name' tuners have done a respectable job of staying in tune. I do need to get around to lowering the action a touch, but I can't stop playing it.  On the whole, it has a great heft to it and balances perfectly.

If it is a knock-off, it's a great one.This black beauty is mine.

You're correct that the more-current OI14 should have the scallop... but I can't tell what they used to do. And I've had hands on a few Washburn Idols that DON'T.

From what I've seen, the WI14 is the only one in the Idol line with the forearm scallop...The rest have either  flat or sculpted tops.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washburn_Idol_Series

Oddly enough, while googling the Washburn WI14, I found a number of non-scalloped ones....But they were all in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Asia. 

Offline RH Stepchild

• Sanity is a myth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
http://www.springdalemusic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_65&products_id=265   Man I have to think, been saving for some new 9 spoke crome rims for my bike.   But this is in black and a good price. I really like the red.  Does any one no if this a authorized Washburn dealer, it dos not say     Tom.   :).  I went back and checked some of my old post, this add has 3 flaws in it.   Tom.   :)

Tom,

While I'm good with the guitar I got, a word of caution...They didn't put any paperwork in with the order. No receipt. No shipping list. Zip.

The only proof of purchase I have is the print-out from Amazon.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »
Thanks.  Tom.   :)

Offline 440music

• View Profile
    • 440Music Indie Music Radio
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »
OK so if I'm reading this right my Oscar is a 1993 because the first 2 digits are 93. I also have a serial number on the back of the head stock which starts 09. I have one more issue I can not find the model, OG5WR this is a Korean made model.

I paid $15.99 for the guitar

Tommy 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:08:29 AM by 440music »
Tommy TBones Cramer
Owner
440Music.com
The Granddaddy of Internet Radio
for Unknown, Unsigned and Indie Music