Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1974? Washburn Monterey  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Zero G

• View Profile
1974? Washburn Monterey
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
Hello...  I just found this forum, and my Washburn Monterey was a high school graduation present in June 1974.  At least that's when I graduated, don't have any paperwork on actual purchase date and the memory is hazy.
Serial # 90552.  Anyone with any information about it?  Plays beautifully, though it could use a fret job.  This guitar has been with me all this time, love it.  Purchased in NYC.  Thanks...

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: 1974? Washburn Monterey
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »
Welcome to LTG land.  Washburn serial numbers can be a bit inconsistent.  The serial number on your Monterey would indicate build date of 1990 (first two digits) or possibly '89 (just the first digit).  The Monterey and most of the Festival series did not start production until the mid to late '80's.  So, something seems amiss.  Are you sure it's a Monterey?  If you could post a few pics that would be a help.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:26:51 AM by evenkeel »

Offline Zero G

• View Profile
Re: 1974? Washburn Monterey
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »
Evenkeel, thank you for the reply.  It is labeled Monterey, has a George Washburn belt logo and the serial number visible in the soundhole.  There is a solid black mark before the 9 in the serial number.  Tuners are also labeled George Washburn.  I'm pretty sure I've had this guitar longer than you suggest.  Will work on pictures.  Thanks again. 

ps Does anyone else have difficulty reading the post verification letters?   Could they not put so many lines through them?  I have to try a few times before I can get a post to go...

pss...  The webcam pictures are not worth much, and my other cameras still use film.  This might take a little longer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:01:01 AM by Zero G »