Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help choosing a Washburn acoustic  (Read 429 times)

Offline differentstrummer

• Obsessed with the underdogs
    • View Profile
Help choosing a Washburn acoustic
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »
 Greetings all!
I've been using the forum for info for quite a while now; Washburn specs and history being rather hard to find.
I currently own 2 WI64 electrics and used to have a Warren Haynes Signature 5240 , but sold it when times were leaner.

I am a former drummer, former FOH engineer... only play guitar as well as the little bit I have picked up from bandmates and friends.

That said, I am looking for a solid "daily driver" type instrument and have 3 options on my short list right now, all used:

D21S/N

D28S

D52SWK

I will say about the  WHaynes: it was a little dry sounding to me. Not a lot of body or presence really.

I know the 52 is the only all solid wood of my 3 choices.... and surprisingly only 70 bucks or so more than 21 ....

But what instrument would you suggest for someone just starting to build their acoustic callouses and learn more than 4 chords?

Washburn WI 64 Red with VCC
Washburn WI 64 Black with EMG
Washburn WI 36  "tele"

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Help choosing a Washburn acoustic
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
If I was going to start someone out right, I'd find a good used D-10S, preferably well-played. Get something that is a literal "kick around" guitar, where you don't have to worry about it getting knocked over (dogs, cats, children, drunken roommates, clumsy girlfriend...) and can keep it handy. If it's already got its share of scratches & gouges, you'll be more likely to PLAY it rather than being concerned about maintaining its value.

Find one with Grover tuners. They last almost forever; when they don't, Grover says they'll replace 'em for free. (I got a new set six years ago. All it cost was postage to send them the old set.)

People make a big thing about building fingertip callouses. That's largely nonsense. If a beginner's fingers hurt significantly, it's almost always due to three factors --
  • the strings are too high, & a setup should be done
  • the strings are much too thin, in the mistaken notion that "lighter strings are easier to play" (see #1) when actually they're much harder to keep in tune & to not sharp by fretting too hard (see #3); on my electrics, I prefer .010 or .011 sets, which many acoustic owners would consider too heavy!
  • the player is clutching the neck as though attempting to strangle it, with resultant strain to fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder, & back; lay off the barre chords awhile & work instead on playing simple single-note exercises & melodies
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline ducklife

• View Profile
Re: Help choosing a Washburn acoustic
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »
Your share is very good, I find you very talented.
fnaf world