Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA16MBL Info  (Read 4003 times)

Offline BarilkoLives

• View Profile
EA16MBL Info
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
Hey all,

Documentation for my guitar does not appear to be available anywhere on the site or elsewhere, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for some info. I have a Festival EA16MBL, purchased in the early 2000s, S/N SC02020853, with the Equis Chorus preamp. It's really the pickup system I'm curious about. Which model of the B-Band is it using? Pretty sure it's a UST... It has both the Hi-Z 1/4" out and the Lo-Z XLR3 out, but I've never been able to get the XLR output to work. I know that in some cases a dummy plug is needed, just wondering if this is true for my model. Also, would love to hear opinions on which sounds better. I have a gig coming up and I'll be playing through my Digitech RP1000, so I know it will need a 1/4" line eventually, but I'm also curious about plugging direct into a P.A. mixer - which sounds better in your experience, 1/4" direct or XLR direct?

Is there a cut sheet for this guitar out there?

Cheers!

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: EA16MBL Info
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Welcome BarilkoLives. Some were on here there  is a thread on that subject,been quite a while since I seen it. You will have to use the search function to find it. I do remember on that post you had to use a dummy jack .  Is yours a  2002 all black Mahogany?  Tom.  :)

Offline BarilkoLives

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
Hey Tom,

No, it's a 2002 Midnight Blue model and I'm not sure of the woods used due to the full-on paint job, although the fret board does appear to be mahogany.

Would love to know for myself...

But it still sounds great!

Offline BarilkoLives

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
Sorry, check that - it's either Midnight Blue or Metallic Blue.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
 I was just wondering if the MBL, stood for Mahogany, and BL black. It sounds like a nice guitar. Have you figured out your jack yet?  Tom. :)

Offline BarilkoLives

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Hey, sorry for the delay. No success with the jack thing yet... Just no opportunity, but will have a chance on Sunday I think. In related research, I think I've discovered/determined that the wood is all maple, but without any documentation it's hard to really know.

I've emailed the Washburn folk at their recommended link, with no reply. Even the few ea16mbl models I'm finding online are a generation or two removed from mine (with a tuner instead of chorus and different control config), so unless someone from Washburn actually gets back to me, I guess I'll just have to live without knowing. I'll post some pics in a bit. It was the last one in the store when I bought it all those years ago and I've never seen another one like it in person, although I'm sure they're out there.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Here is a bit of info for you.
EA16 (FIRST VERSION)
- single smooth cutaway thin unbound body, maple top/back/sides, 14/20-fret bound rosewood fingerboard, matching headstock with three-per-side chrome tuners, rosewood Butterfly bridge, BBand electronics, available in Metallic Blue, Metallic Cheryr, Pearl Black, or Pearl White finish, mfg.
2001-04.

MBL is metallic Blue.  In 2005 they went with spruce and mahogany.  Both versions the wood was all laminate.

You will need a dummy 1/4" jack to make the XLR jack function.  I had a EA20 with the dual jack set up and did not hear much difference between the two.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:57:40 AM by evenkeel »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
Evenkeel. Would it be possible two use both jacks and have stereo? Have not seen this one asked before.  I am looking for that festival that I just can not turn down. :)  Tom.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Evenkeel. Would it be possible two use both jacks and have stereo? Have not seen this one asked before.  I am looking for that festival that I just can not turn down. :)  Tom.

I do not see why not, although I never even thought to try it. 

Offline BarilkoLives

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Thanks so much Evenkeel, much appreciated and great info! I'll be sure to carry around a spare jack now.

As promised, here's a couple of pics. Is it just me or is this version a little darker than the newer ones I see sporadically online?

At any rate, she sounds pretty nice!

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
That is one nice looking guitar, and my favorite bridge.  Tom.    :)