Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mahogany N4 2.0 Reissue  (Read 6130 times)

Offline MuntedFunkster

• View Profile
Mahogany N4 2.0 Reissue
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
Hello all, I've just joined the forum. Congrats on such a great community of Nuno guitar fanatics. 

I have been a peavey wolfgang player since the late 90's, and have always been fascinated by the N4's but never actually got around to purchasing one. So i've finally got to the point where Id like to purchase an N4 as my main axe. I have read through some of the topics here, some very interesting reading, and a wealth of information.   

Im looking at purchasing a new USA made 1 piece mahogany body/flamed maple top Daives spec'd reissue N4, or Paduak or Vintage Alder. There are even a couple of Walnut and Sapele ones on Feebay which also look interesting. As I live in Australia, playing one of these axes is virtually impossible unless you know someone with one which I dont. Is there anyone here who may have a mahogany N4 already? Id love to hear your comments/feedback on them and how they compare to the paduak or Alder or Walnut or Sapele. Im playing through a Mesa Road King Head (S1) with 2x12 recto cabinet, playing mainly heavier rock, metal and funk stuf. How does the quality of the newer USA made N4's compare to the older Davies models? I was reading a comment here somewhere last night that the new ones are of excellent sound quality and craftsmanship?

Im committing 3K for this purchase, which is quite a bit of money and really appreciate your comments or feedback. Im actually sort of worried about this purchase as Im already getting a vibe that once i get an N4 I will want to sell all my axes for more of them.   

Thanks   \m/
MuFu   

Offline N4BAZZA

• View Profile
Re: Mahogany N4 2.0 Reissue
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »
I also live in Australia and own 2 N4's a 1994 alder and a 2011 2.0 paddy, IMO the 2011 paddy is the best guitar I have ever played, the 1994 I got here in Australia after a 2 year search its a great guitar but the tone (deeper) and neck (smaller radius) of the paddy is more me. If you do want to buy 1 try funky munkey music Jon will look after you and it only took 8 days to get it sent out from the states I check the net all the time to see if there is any in Australia for sale and only seen 1 in the last 2 years and it was a lefty paddy.Good luck
2011 Padauk 2.0 N4
1994 Alder N4
2004 EPIPHONE LES PAUL

Offline Rich Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
I'm putting my Davies 2.0 pad up for sale. Contact me if you haven't found an N4 yet.

Offline MuntedFunkster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
I havent checked in for a while, but I ended up getting a limited run (no. 4 of 25) Koa body N4 with maple board and neck, gold hardware... sounds wicked! I just love the unfinished neck on it which has heaps of scattered birds eyes on it. I would have to say the playability on these N4's is awesome, they are very comfortable guitars to play, pure rock machines! This guitar has resulted in my EVH wolfs being put into storage lol. Will post some pics of the Koa soon. 

SO, im now looking for another N4 to buy either new or used, and im not really 100% sure what im looking for..  maybe a Paddy reissue 2.0, Sapele, Korina, Mahogany or even a Vintage Alder 2.0 would be nice. If anyones got an N4 for sale let me know.

Cheers
MuFu   

Offline Gunghogringo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »
My Sapele sounds better than all of my other N4s but my 2008 special run n3 is the best overall but I prefer a maple board, my 2.0 swamp ash has the fastest neck but my sapele kills my padauk
Washburn 2008 N3/n4 , Washburn USA Custom N4 sapele with aged copper hardware, Washburn N4 Alder and maple board  , Washburn N4 Swamp Ash 2.0, Washburn N61,Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II, ESP George Lynch SKull and Snakes , Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace in Emerald Green Tolex And tan grill

Offline MuntedFunkster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:48:40 AM »
Hey Gringo, you have a very nice selection of guitars mate. I missed out on a sapele N4 a few years ago, a guy was selling one on ebay somewhere in the US, but he wasn't posting to Australia despite my  offers.

I would love to hear your views on why your sonic preference is for the Sapele? What makes it stand out above the others for you? I too prefer unfinished maple necks and boards, but an ebony boarded N4 would be nice too.

Cheers

Offline Gunghogringo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
Washburn 2008 N3/n4 , Washburn USA Custom N4 sapele with aged copper hardware, Washburn N4 Alder and maple board  , Washburn N4 Swamp Ash 2.0, Washburn N61,Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II, ESP George Lynch SKull and Snakes , Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace in Emerald Green Tolex And tan grill

Offline MuntedFunkster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Thats looks like a unique N4, it has the aged copper hardware. What year were they making these, were they a special run of Sapele models?

Its amazing at how many different types of N4's there are in terms of the woods used. I can probably see myself getting to the point where I will just want one of each type   ;D    \m/   

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »
I would love to have the Sapele version. That is  a dream guitar.....
Dan.
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline MuntedFunkster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
I would love to have the Sapele version. That is  a dream guitar.....
Dan.

Absolutely!..... and a Korina... and a Koa.. and a paddy.. and an XX... and an Alder  lol

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:15 AM »
I've always wondered whats the difference between N3 and N4, if you're still looking at this thread Gringo. Wikipedia says it has 2 direct mounted Washburn p/ups yet shows a picture with 2 L500s with surrounds......
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline Gunghogringo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
The one you are talking about is the Korean version, my n3 is really a USA N4 with an l500r in the neck and a maple board, although the l500r was changed out for a 59, it was a special run of 20, my sapele is from a special run of 15 in 2008, although I doubt if the others had copper hardware, it could have been a custom one off, the only other one I've seen with copper hardware was a white one from boogie street, so I imagine mine was commissioned by boogie street

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the info. I do love the way Washburn manage to confuse everything! Good job there are some experts around here to help out!