Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1980 Scavenger Bass  (Read 1444 times)

Offline kennyjb

• View Profile
1980 Scavenger Bass
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
I have a 1980 Scavenger Bass in wine-red clear finish (I'll get around to posting some pics soon).  It's pretty much in the same condition it was in when I bought it used in 1987 from a pawn shop, because I quit playing bass soon after I bought it and switched to guitar.  It looks great from the front, but pretty major belt buckle rash on the back.  It does have a few minor issues that I'd like to address if I can, and I was hoping maybe someone on here might be able to point me in the direction of the parts I need?

First and foremost, the 25 years it has sat in my closet unplayed has been kind to the cosmetics, but the saddle-height adjustment allen screws are corroded to the saddles, and the allens are stripped round.  At first I thought I could replace them with the saddles off a Fender P-Bass, but the Fender ones are too long to fit inside the cast bridge, I would have to shorten them.  That's probably what I'll have to end up doing unless someone has a better idea?

The next item is the machine heads (tuners).  The one for the D-string is missing its little cover on the back, although it works fine.  The one for the A-string has a slightly loose knob, and it rattles noticeably when you play the A-string open.  I know these tuners are the same as many of the other basses that came out of Matsumoku and the other Japanese factories in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Anyone know where I can get my hot little hands on 2 of these - one for the left, and one for the right of the headstock?

And lastly, on one of the "thru the body" string-mounting holes, it has lost its original metal insert for holding the string, and it has been replaced by a similar one, but not exactly the same.  I'd like to get the original type if I can, but this is pretty low priority.  I've never found strings long enough to string it that way (it also has string mounting holes on the tail of the bridge itself).   

My sincerest thanks to anyone who can help me.

Cheers!