Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Mystery Guitar: the Hermosa AHQ-10I  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
A Mystery Guitar: the Hermosa AHQ-10I
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
I am window shopping for a small size flamenco sounding guitar. Someone suggested the Hermosa AHQ-10. From what I see from this link:

http://www.antoniohermosa.com/ahq10.html

it looks like a pretty decent guitar, not great but, decent.

In spite of this link I still have some questions. One being: what does it sound like? I can't find a sound clip for it.

Does anyone on this forum know anything about this guitar or the company that makes it?

Any input will be appreciated.

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline philpm

• View Profile
Re: A Mystery Guitar: the Hermosa AHQ-10I
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
Don't know anything about the company or the quality of their instruments, but it says quite a bit to me that many of the dealers that they list either a) don't show them being carried by those shops, or b) the shops don't have a web presence and may be out of business.

Phil
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:30:13 AM »
I will take your suspicion in deep consideration.  The person that told me about this guitar is a dealer himself.  However he doesn't have a sound clip for me to hear.  That I don't like.  I'm on a limited income and I can't afford to waste money.

Thanks for response.

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
Lafayette, Being on a fixed income as you said, why fool around with the unknown. go for a known brand name.
there are so many great guitars out there, and for great prices. no need to buy a lemon. not saying that this guitar is crap(IDK anything about it) but, there are safer  brands to buy.
Just thinking out loud.  I know, I know I should not be at it...LOL
still i do think that guitar look nice.

good luck
Please let us know what you get if you do buy.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
Unless you have a specific need for a 3/4 size guitar I'd pass on this model.  It may serve your needs for a short time, very short is likely, but then you'll be stuck with a guitar with little re-sale value and no real use.  Better to save your money and buy a full size guitar.

Additionally the guitar in question is a 3/4 size classical.  There are a lot of very good quality, full size classical guitars for not a lot of $$.  Washburn has several in the line, as do all the other major manufacturers.  I'd look for a solid wood top (likely cedar) and laminate wood back and sides.

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
Thank you all for your concern and comments.

I am not looking for a classical guitar per se, but a small size (maybe 5/8 or 7/12) flamenco sounding guitar.  I really don't want a 3/4 size.  I already have a Baby Taylor that I like to a certain point, the point: it doesn't have enough bottom.

The person that suggested the Hermosa AHQ-10I implied it had a dry sound.  This intrigues me.

I want a flamenco or semi flamenco guitar for a number of reasons.  Because of my muscular dystrophy my hand strength isn't as good as should be.  I can play steel, but it is a struggle.  To my ears a flamenco has more bite than a classical.

When I play guitar it is in a narrow electric hospitable bed, because the configuration of my electric wheelchair makes playing a guitar of any size in it impossible. 

I love flamenco, however I don't have the speed, coordination, or technique to play it.  I also like blues, folk, and country and western.  I think it may be fun and interesting to play Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan on a flamenco guitar.  Also I believe the bite of a flamenco guitar may be appropriate for blues.

One other guitar that has caught my interest and imagination and is a well know brand is the Art and Lutherie Ami.  They make steel and nylon models.  Have heard the steel numerous times, but not the nylon (which is disappointing).  The other guitar that has made me drool all over myself is out of my price range is the Martin 0-28VS.  It not only looks beautiful but also sounds beautiful and has enough bottom to satisfy me.

Lafayette

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »
Lafayette, about what price range are you looking at?  It sounds like you don't have a large range to work with, but there should be a little wiggle room on options.  My concern with the Hermosa's stem on what kind of build quality you'd be getting for the price.  $150 for a solid top classical seems awfully low, even for a 3/4 size.  If we have a good price range in mind, I'm sure someone on here can suggest something that'll fit your needs and budget.

Phil

'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
Lafayette, sorry if my earlier response seemed a bit cold.  Certainly not my intent.  I'm not a flamengo guitar expert.  My basic understanding is the big difference between a classical guitar and flamengo is, the flamengo is built to have a much shorter sustain with more volume.  You want the notes to die off quicker so the blizzard of notes typical of flamengo music can be heard clearly, but you also want as much volume as you can get.  Hard to achieve.  Now, if you want the oopmh of a flamengo guitar but the dry, lack of sustain is not as much of an issue, then a spruce and mahogany classical will probably get you very close to what you are looking for.  Rosewood guitars tend to have more complex tones, with a lot of sustain.  Kind of a natural reverb if you will.  Mahogany is a bit drier, good low end with a bit tighter sound, so less sustain.  A spruce top should give you a bit more oomph versus cedar.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
I'd second EvenKeel's suggestion for spruce soundboard.  Cedar tends to get a bit "muddy" when overdriven, and I can't imagine flamenco music without all the dynamics.  Spruce would work better, for sure!

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
No offenses have been taken.

Yes, a $150 is pretty low and that is why I am suspicious, skittish, and need to know more.  I know that there are good deals out there, but I pay a lot of heed to the old adage, "If it is too good to be true it probably isn't".

As for price range how about something between $200-$300?  I know that isn't much, but maybe a good deal can be found.  Right now I don't even have that much, but we can save up for it in time.  Of course, more than that will take more time.

Thanks for giving the run down on the different woods and their properties.  However, you missed one and that is Spanish Cypress.  I understand that cypress may be very fundamental for that biting flamenco sound.  And, what about maple?

Does Washburn make any parlor and/or classical guitars with cypress or maple?

Lafayette

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Looking through the new catalog, there are no parlors or classicals with either cypress or maple.  I think you would generally only find cypress on a high end flamenco guitar, which would immediately put it out of your price range, and parlors aren't usually done in maple, as that would negate what little bottom end a parlor has already.

I know $200-300 doesn't seem like a lot to work with, but there are some good guitars to be had for that amount of money.  If you can't find what you're looking for in a Washburn, the Art and Lutherie one you mentioned could be a good choice.  I know several people here have had some good experiences with Takamine's as well.  There are probably others, but I can't come up with anything else off the top of my head right now.  Hopefully this will help get you in the right direction.

Phil

'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
I'll second the comment re: Cypress.    Cypress as a tone wood is virtually never used outside of the world of flamengo.  It was first used in flamengo guitars as it was locally available.  So if you want that classic flamengo sound, and you want cypress you will need to spend quite a bit more money and get a regular size flamengo guitar.  If you want a smaller body guitar and are looking for more bottom end than the Baby Taylor then you will need to steer clear of cypress, and maple for that matter.  Maple is a very bright tone wood.  Often it's used in Jumbo size guitars where the body size has a lot of low end and the maple balances that out.

I have owned guitars made of rosewood, mahogany and maple w/ spruce or cedar tops.  I've had or have parlors, dreads, jumbos, 00's, 000's, Om's.  Based on what you've talked about so far my suggestion is still a standard classical model with a solid spruce top and lam mahogany back and sides.  This should be easy for you to play, will have much more bottom end than the baby Taylor and be close to the flamengo sound you are looking for.  Plus the options are far greater and you should be able to find one in your price range.

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
After listening to all comments and thinking it over I have decided not to waste any more time and energy pursuing the Antonio Hermosa AHQ-10.  I don't expect the bottom of a dreadnaught, but I want more than what a Baby Taylor provides.

If I can't obtain a flamenco guitar that I can afford and that my dear sweet wife won't faint over then I will consider the classical with solid spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides.

You mentioned options.  One option I can think of is putting the Thomastik John Pearse Folk strings on it.  I like the bite of the high B and E of steel strings.  Making thing more complicated, I like and prefer the tone of the low E, A, D, and G (if the G is wound) tuned strings of nylon.  I have read that that these strings have some of these attributes that I am looking for.  Also, in my exploration I have read that these strings have the tension of nylon and some if not all balled ends.

Will these Thomastik John Pearse Folk strings work with any of the Washburn classical and/or parlor guitars? 

By the way, what kind of tone does Oregon Pine Top and Sycamore give?

Thanks everyone for your comments, insights, and suggestions.  I will seriously ponder on them.

Lafayette

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

Will these Thomastik John Pearse Folk strings work with any of the Washburn classical and/or parlor guitars?
By the way, what kind of tone does Oregon Pine Top and Sycamore give?
Lafayette

Parlor yes.  Classical no.  You never want to put steel strings on a guitar braced for nylon.  You would also want to have a different nut installed.

I can't imagine what kind of sound a guitar with a pine top would give.  If I had to guess, muffled springs to mind.