Username: Password:

Author Topic: Such thing as a custom shop xb400.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline bennyfrank

• View Profile
Such thing as a custom shop xb400.
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Hello everyone. I am late to Washburn basses,but now i have 2 and,just purchased my 3rd one on EBay.
It is this bass that i need a little info on,if someone can help i would appreciate it.

I just purchased a XB 400 and,mainly i got it to balance out my arsenal.So i have been looking for an  xb 400 for about a month and,i chose this one because it looked well cared for and,clean.I sent the guy a best offer and,went to bed.AFTER TOSSING AND,TURNING FOR AN HOUR,I KNEW I WOULD KICK MY OWN SELF IN THE BUTT IF SOMEONE PURCHASED THIS BASS,SO I GOT OUT OF BED AND,WENT AND,GOT MY NEW BABY.

This is where the fun starts.
I tell our guitarist,GOT A NEW BOOMER LAST NIGHT. Pull it up and,let him check it out. He is looking at it and,says

MAN ,LIMITED EDITION ,CUSTOM SHOP!!!   THIS IS A SWEET BASS BRO.

I have no idea what he is talking about.So i go over and,look. SURE ENOUGH,this CB400 has a limited edition,custom shop sticker on the back by the neck joint. :o
I HAD Not LOOKED AT ALL OF THE PICTURES,THIS WAS NEWS TO ME.

So my guitarist being kinda anal starts comparing this CB400 to go ogle images  and,says this is different,this is different.I CANT TELL.
Anyway he sucks me into the quest and,we devote HOURS UPON HOURS RESEARCHING THIS XB400. NOTHING.

If anyone can provide a grain of information about this boomer,we would all appreciate it and,maybe we could get some sleep soon.

Seriously we are just stumped.Any suggestions on how to solve this mystery will be received warmly.
 THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. -BENNIE.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Such thing as a custom shop xb400.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
 I no nothing really about bass guitar, but if it was a electric, Custom Shop  LTD, is what you want, and is more valuable, and collectible. Does it say made in USA?   Tom.  :)

jimsmithsr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
No.....the only USA XB basses are the 900 series.  They are stamped {on the back of the headstock} with a serial number and on the front of the headstock you'll find the words "Made in USA" under the Washburn logo.

An XB-920...made in the USA

A CB-400 is not an XB series bass guitar.  The only CB-400 that I'm aware of is a Custom Shop model made in 2002...and it's a chambered body 6 string electric guitar.  Are you sure someone didn't take the truss rod cover off of the XB-400 and replace it with a CB-400 cover? (Happens all the time....)

I've , also, never seen a Custom Shop sticker applied anywhere except on the back of the headstock.
I seem to recall the bass you described as being listed on E-bay a while back....do you have any pictures of it?

Here's what a CB-400 looks like:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:27:08 PM by jimsmithsr »

Offline bennyfrank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »
Hey folks.Thanks for the replys and,i have some info,but im still kinda stumped.
XB400 is the bass in question,i dont know why i typed cb400
It was made in korea in 1996 and,it is a burgundy sunburst and,the contoured heel and,comfort curves or whatever it was called
Only problem is their is a slight seperation between the fretboard and,the neck on the e string between the ZERO FRET AND, THE
FIRST FRET.[/img]
Anyway,it looks and,plays beautifully and,i will probably attempt the repair myself.
So,im wondering if just a non standard color option for that model would make it a custom shop guitar.

Offline Bo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 01:19:16 AM »
The answer is NO. Washburn basses could be ordered in custom colors for an extra $58. For instance when I ordered my XB-500, I paid an extra $58 to have it made in "blue Burst" instead of black, red, white, or cream color. Only took three weeks and it was beautifully done. I think they sent it to another shop in the US to be painted.