Username: Password:

Author Topic: guitar repair  (Read 1152 times)

Offline curlydude54

• View Profile
guitar repair
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
Question here,,,i have a washburn 6 string acoustic,,not sure of the model rt now because a friend has it at the moment but,,i wzant to lower the action on the neck towards the body,,,he suggested lowering the bridge by taking it out(it will have to be carefully pulled,(it appears upon examination to be either pressed in or glued) and shaving it down to lower the strings,,,,is this a standard thing to do? or is it a decent way to accomplish what i want? or not recommended? this guy is a guitar player,owns several and seems familiar with the nuts and bolts of how they're put together,,any comments on how to lower the action would be appreciated,,it doesnt need to come down much,just a tad,,the strings are a bit too high on the lower end of the neck by the body,,,the guitar itself is good,noo warpage or damage  :D

ship of fools

Re: guitar repair
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
Actually welcome first and its called a saddle and is a very common thing to do. I have included a page for you to go to see how it is done. good luck.
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html
Just remember that slow and steady is the right way to go, don't be in a hurry and it will work out just fine.ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
Welcome to the washie forum.  Ship is right on point.  The wooden piece permanently attached to the guitar top is the bridge, the removable piece is the saddle.  The frest.com article is a very good tutorial.

Offline curlydude54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »
hey guys,,thx for the welcome  :D  and for the link,the advice n the replies,,i feel lots better bout what this buddy of mine is doin now,lol,,yea he said same thing about shavin down slowly,so as not to take the strings down too far,,my brother who doesnt play got this guitar from someone who had it in their closet for years and gave it to me,and i really wasnt aware of what i had so i was happy to find this website and see what washburn is all about  we'll be talkin with ya'll laterz  thx again :-)