Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cypress Substitute?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
Cypress Substitute?
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:24:27 AM »
As some of you may know I have been window shopping for a flamenco guitar. One of the factors that gives the flamenco guitar its distinctive sound is the cypress wood. The problem with cypress is its expense.

My question is: is there another solid wood that gives the same or a very similar sound of cypress and is it cheaper?

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Cypress Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
Have you considered mango?  I know I see some of the classical guitar builders using it for the soundboard....spalted mango is as visually stunning as is spalted maple, but I would imagine the soundboards would be laminated, as mango is a fairly soft wood and would not stand up to the pressures if used as a solid-wood soundboard.  I have not heard a mango-spec'd guitar, so I cannot comment on bite, sustain, dynamics.

Just a thought.....then, again, if you were to save up for a while longer, perhaps you could afford the cypress you really want?

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
If the sound of the Mango wood is like the taste of its' fruit I would say it is too sweet for me.

All kidding aside, I do appreciate the suggestion and it has given me another lead to follow.

Until, you mentioned it I never heard or thought of Mango wood.

Thank you.

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
http://www.classical-workshop.com/j_marcario_guitars/flamenco_45ceq-lh

I don't know whether you would call that expensive, or not. My understanding is that price can be bargained down. I have never played the guitar, but from what I have read, they don't appear to be bad. (The fact that they are advertising lefty cutaways got my attention.

I was reading about them today and I saw your post.