Username: Password:

Author Topic: What Have I Got?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Davie

• View Profile
What Have I Got?
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
Hi,

Today at an antique fair I picked up a Washburn acoustic.  Sadly in poor condition with some bumps, bruises and scrapes etc....   What I'm trying to find out is exactly what model/year it is.  There is no paper label inside just the Washburn logo visible on the centre spar.  However, there is a serial number inside at the neck end which is either 86011 15 (possibly 98011 15 but I think the former) followed by D-12N.  I assume that is the model?  Would the date be 1986?  It has (I think) a spruce top with mahogany (coloured at least) sides/back/neck.  Grover machine heads. Simple dot mother of pearl (?) inlays on fretboard - nothing fancy.  Washburn 'W' on the neck  'bracket' thing where it meets the back of the guitar...  As I say, condition is poor.  Sounds rubbish at the moment!  Hopefully new strings will help or am I deluded?  Was it worth the £18 (approx. $25) I paid?? :)
Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: What Have I Got?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
Welcome. Yes very good deal. Clean her up, check your normal stuff.Neck nut saddle, no broke or vibrating braces, frets.    Does it say made in Korea?  No matter, 25.00 very good deal.Wish I could find deals like that around here. My 1998 D10TR, is made in Korea, has Grover tuners, I can find nothing wrong with it. The only thing close to a negative is the neck gets a little heavy after a hour or two. IT is hard to say date for certain, with out numbers. Some one else here might be able to tell you more.  Tom.   :) Yes ,  D12 natural finish, all laminate.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:03:13 PM by t.y. »

Offline Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've been looking more closely at it now and can see a few problems!  Not only does it sound horrible but its terrible to play too.  The action is rediculously high at the the body end of the neck - around 3/10 of an inch!  Way under 1/10" at the 1st fret...  The bridge is pretty low so not much room for manouevre there.  Looking at the neck there is a definite bow upwards that will certainly make the action height worse.  Is this a no-hoper or can I take a spanner to the neck?   Sorry I'm pretty green on all this.  I've never adjusted previous guitars (a lovely old EKO that I had to give back to a relative and a Fender 12 string that I've been playing as a 6 string.....  If the neck can be fiddled with what tool does one use?  I'm figuring that with £18 spent I don't have a lot to lose!

Thanks again
Davie

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »
A few pictures would help evaluate it...especially taken from the back of the guitar toward the neck to see that bow.  That high of action is usually unrepairable except by a neck reset.  The truss rod is adjusted (if it has one) by an allen wrench.  The adjustment area is just under the fretboard at the sound hole.  Likely won't matter much with that bow.  Don't know how much saddle (the white part that sits on the bridge) is left, either.  Pics would answer a lot of questions.

Mark
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
My first guitar a couple year or so ago, I left sitting in its case next to the wall all winter. the next summer, it was very bowed. I took it to the store were I bought it. And was told about humidity and such.  Adjusted the truss rod over a couple of days, and it played like new, flat & strait.  Here is what I would do,  Make sure humidity in its case is around 50% for a few days to a week, Then slowly over a period of hours to days, tighten that truss rod. and slowly adjust out the bow. If that doesn't help, Then  its going to be a lot more expensive to fix.  Tom.   :)

Offline Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
Thanks again...   I will try and take some photos in due course.  Because of the condition it won't be worth paying to have it sorted out so either adjustment of the truss rod works or it doesn't!  I can see where to adjust but is it a standard allen key fitting?  Also, which way do you turn!
Cheers
Davie

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
Truss rod - clockwise to tighten/pull neck back.  Don't get crazy with it!  A little goes a long way.
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
they say 1/4 turn at a time.  make sure start real slow and easy, so nothing breaks.  Tom.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
1/4 turn, let it settle for a few days.  It takes a bit of time for the wood to "bend" to the new shape and stabilize.

If it's not enough, 1/4 turn more.....let it sit again.  Then, perhaps 1/8 turn each time you need to try again...allowing a few days for the neck to settle in each time.

I had an Ovation that had a neck that would get out of adjustment every time it rained, it seemed.  I sent it back to Chicago (I think) twice, the second time they sent me one of their adjustment "wrenches" and told me how to do it for myself.  Thank goodness, it was getting expensive to ship the guitar/case to Chicago every time the neck bowed.

Lost the Ovation to a burglar...the neck was so unspeakably narrow that I could not play it....didn't even find myself missing it.

Cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
After rereading your first post, I bet you have a, 1998 or 1999. Korea, Does it have real Grover tuners, by that I mean the word Grover in them? The first number on a 7 serial#  is usually its year. As I look on E-Bay, After the late 90's Korea's they go to tuners that look like Grover's but not stamped grover. Like my 06's and up.  Tom.   :)