Username: Password:

Author Topic: New WD45SCE.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline ziatriguy

• View Profile
New WD45SCE.
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »
Found a great price on a new old stock WD45SCE.  Compared to my WD100DL it is amazing!!!!!  The action is easy, and the neck feels....right.  Plugged in it is warm.  Unplugged, bright and airy.  The finish is really nice.  I played it and a buddies Martin D-16.  The Washburn sounded at least as good, and played better.

Now the question, it came with D'Addario strings...if I measured them right 11-52.......

What strings is everyone playing and why?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: New WD45SCE.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
I use 11's  and  12's .  I have short fat fingers and arthritis.  11;s are easier when my fingers are stiff. I use Martin , D'Addario , Elixer Polyweb, ErnieBall Earthwood. All sound good in any size.  Tom.  :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
Now the question, it came with D'Addario strings...if I measured them right 11-52.......

What strings is everyone playing and why?

Well, everyone is playing different strings, because we all have our own favorites.

The factory fitted the guitar with light gauge...I'd bet your measurements are accurate.  You could probably go up one gauge of strings and not need a setup...any heavier than that and you could encounter clearance issues, not to mention perhaps needing the slots in your nut widened.

There are two "schools of thought" on the forum regarding strings....one group says strings are strings and change them frequently, the other says find a set you like and change as often as you must.  Which group are you in?

Re: your comment regarding the Martin comparison....we hear that all the time here on the forum.  If only Washburn would make sure that their dealers were well stocked with guitars people could play they would enjoy greater market presence, but too many of us find limited stock.  I have another question....did you get to test drive anything other than a dreadnought body style?  Washburn makes a great line of parlor guitars, as well as other non-dread body styles such as mini-jumbo, grand auditorium, you get the idea.  Sadly, almost all I see in most B&M music parlors is dreads....I have two of those, have about decided that I might well sell one off so that I can buy a DIFFERENT Washburn body style.

I do prefer a well-rounded crew at the ready when I enter the conservatory  ;D !

Congratulations on the score, and cheers from.....
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Hurricane Ramon

• View Profile
It's 12's On My D46SCE
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »
Light gauge 12s mostly .

I Love how they 8) ring .

9s and 10s sound plinkly  to me , but that's just me on my Washburn D46SCE , the early issue that was Madagascar Rose wood and not Ash .

I like a lighter gauge on the low end , the 12's come with 53s , I like smaller lighter ones , the lighter ones  don't have the thud and muddiness after they break in and ring a clear  bass line and stay clearer too even after they have been on a long time .

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
What is the difference between a "D" Washburn and a "WD" Washburn?

What does the "W" in "WD" mean?
2001 Washburn D42SCE
2002 Oscar Schmidt OG2 TK (on-board tuner)
2007 Samick D2-12 (12-String) (The "Truss-Me" Guitar)
1982 Ovation Balladeer, Mod. 1111
2001 Crate CA-60 Acoustic Amp

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
The D10S   Is a older Washburn, Before the company was sold The WD10S is the newer guitar. Now the D is for Dreadnought, Not sure if the W is for Washburn.   WMJ, Washburn Mini Jumbo. I know this because I am always looking for one in the local store, Ceder top, Yep, reading about Y.D.'s has got me convinced if I run across one in person, I will almost certainly bring it home. If the neck fits my hand.   LOL. There are older guitars with WD in the name, I would guess this is what it means.  Tom.   :)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
Well, it's time to read up on Washburn history....

Just to stay with the thread, 9's & 10's on the acoustics. Trying out a set of Elixir Extra Lights on the D42. Otherwise, have always used Martin 80/20 Extra Light.
2001 Washburn D42SCE
2002 Oscar Schmidt OG2 TK (on-board tuner)
2007 Samick D2-12 (12-String) (The "Truss-Me" Guitar)
1982 Ovation Balladeer, Mod. 1111
2001 Crate CA-60 Acoustic Amp