Username: Password:

Author Topic: Prairie Song D62SW Circa 1979-80  (Read 3719 times)

Offline DaveLagadi

• View Profile
    • Dave Lagadi Music
Prairie Song D62SW Circa 1979-80
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »

I have a 1980 or 1981 Washburn Prairie Song D62SW Serial# 831258.  I purchased it new in Anchorage Alaska in 1981 at the local music store there.  As a jazz musician I seldom played it and it has been in tow from AK to NC to FL and back to NC never leaving it's case except for a minimal strum.  It's spruce as turned a lovely honey tone. 

Back in the early 90's I noticed a small surface crack on the spruce from the bridge to the bottom. I sent it in to the factory in Chicago and they did a nice repair then a few years later another one in an identical spot opposite below the bridge occurred and the entire neck moved inward into the body about 1/8th of an inch!  It hasn't affected the sound, playability or intonation but I fear it will lower the value which is a shame for such a beautiful instrument.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their Prairie Songs? 

Not sure what to do with it.  Sounds as good, if not better than  any Martin I have ever owned or played.  Not sure what to ask for it if I decided to sell it.  Any thoughts out there by Prairie Song pundits?

Thanks DL
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:11:57 PM by DaveLagadi »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Prairie Song D62SW Circa 1979-80
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
Welcome. I wonder if yours might not be a 1978. as your first number is a 8.  As for value, there are those on here that no the book price, so I don't comment on those. I wonder how much the repairs will impact value though. Did you have humidity problems?I know that to get a good estimate, you will need some good pictures. Around here most use photobucket.com, than post pic's or link here. Tom   :)

Offline f-holes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
I am new today, looking up information for my D-62 SW; a wonderful guitar.  The serial number is 101821, bought in April of 1983, new.  I think I have a catalog from that year too.  All other talk on the Washburn pages or elsewhere, have a serial number like this.  Any ideas?  BTW, that same year I purchased the B-16P plectrum banjo that has been around the world, fallen ten feet, dropped off moving vehicles, seen every type of weather; still strumming strong.  Maybe that is why they still make the B-16 today.  But does Washburn have plectrum and tenor options?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
OK, now your other post makes since. Since you bought it new in 83, and your serial # begins with 1, I would say it is a 81. ALMOST always, on a six digit number the first number is year. On a 8 digit number, first two are year.   Tom.   :)

Offline f-holes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
Thanks, that would make sense.  I don't recall if the moderate size music store in Milwaukee had it in the store for some time, or if ordered.  I don't play the guitar out often anymore , or even in the house.  Guys have liked its unique, own voice.  Certainly a versatle instrument.  It looks great, as the finish has aged over the years.  A keeper.  Thanks again.

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Hey Dave I am sorry to say but if the neck has shrunk inwards by a 1/8 of an inch I would say keep it and play the heck out of it and maybe it might be worth something for parts but the neck will be out by a giant amount so the intonation has to be way out with that kind of movement. Its to bad because the cracks well they would take away some but that is major as we know that neck resets on these can be cantankerous at best.love it paly it and well good luck.ship

Offline f-holes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
Hi again, That Washburn with number 101821, has on the strip of wood running down the seam, has the Prairie Song and Washbun stamp, along with a red star.  No MIJ anywhere, I was under the assumption is was made in the US.  Would the brochure (which I have somewhere) help?  Thanks.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/JimSmithCollection3.html  Thought this might help a little.   Tom.   :)   P.S.  There is a thread on here somewere that tells what guitars were made in USA.   Not as many as one would think. And they were not inexpensive even then.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:33:24 AM by t.y. »