Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn Nuno Bettencourt Signature Series: Pretty sure it's a knockoff...  (Read 11960 times)

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
Hey everyone,  I recently purchased (from a friend) a very basic setup which included a "Nuno Bettencourt: Signature Series, a Peavey Rage 158, a Hardshell case, and a stand couldn't pass up the deal....  Regardless if the guitar is fake or not it has a great sound, but I want to be sure since I've never owned or played a Washburn before, nor have I researched the line much.  I bought this for my bro since you can't really go wrong for the price.

Pics:

Can you guys confirm or deny my suspicions.... also is it a N1, N2, etc...  I'm thinking N1 if legit.  How are the pickups?  Anything recommended to replace them with for a cleaner sound?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:08:27 PM by ajmidd12 »

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
It is a Washburn N1.

Nobody would counterfeit that.

Looks like an 05 with Washburn Eliminator pickups.
Founding Member of the Nuno Brigade
Davies Division
Maple on Mahogany Militia

My Guitars

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
Thanks Chaos :)

Would you say it is a good find?  Got it and everything listed above for $80 CAD lol.

Any better pickups than the two in the guitar?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
For 80 bucks you could not go wrong.   Tom.  :)

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
Awesome! :D 

Definitely a decent sounding guitar. 

Thanks again guys.

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
Hey everyone;

Back again!  Guitar was tuned up, restrung, and sounds decent.  I'm thinking of replacing the pickups with the following:

Neck:  Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59
Bridge: Bill Lawrence L500XL

Thoughts?

I like the sound of these pickups and can get them for a great deal!

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
It's your guitar. Do with it whatever you want.
Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
It's your guitar. Do with it whatever you want.
Haha, yes, yes it is.  I take it you don't like those pickups?

Offline ben_p_bettencourt

• View Profile
They are what an N4 would have and sound great to my ears. If you can get them cheap, then do it. It will be kind of like having an N4 for a fraction of the price.
N4 Vintage (2010)
N4 Padauk 2.0 Davies
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS (2006)
Fender HW1 Telecaster (2006)
Ibanez Xiphos xpt700 (2007)
Epiphone Nick Valensi Riviera  (????)
Brian May Red Special (2008)
Brian May Rhapsody acoustic (2009)
...and several others!

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
They are what an N4 would have and sound great to my ears. If you can get them cheap, then do it. It will be kind of like having an N4 for a fraction of the price.
True Enough!

I ended up going with the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 single conductor for the neck.  What was rather odd is when I opened up the guitar last night it looked like it had been rewired to a N2.....

No biggie, going to rewire the entire guitar tonight with the eliminator in the bridge until my Bill Lawrence arrives in the mail.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
New question for you all, existing bridge.... I did some research which came back as it being a Washburn "Fulcrum"?  Not sure if this is accurate or not, besides the point, it seems this bridge isn't quite ideal for a good sound.

Can anyone recommend a replacement bridge that will fit right in?  Maybe a Floyd Rose Original?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:50:30 AM by ajmidd12 »

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
The guitar in the above photos is as I stated before a N1. You can tell because of the bridge. If it were an N2 it would have a Floyd Rose style tremolo. If you want a Floyd in that guitar you will need to route it out.
Davies Division

My Guitars

Offline ajmidd12

• View Profile
The guitar in the above photos is as I stated before a N1. You can tell because of the bridge. If it were an N2 it would have a Floyd Rose style tremolo. If you want a Floyd in that guitar you will need to route it out.
You're right, I guess the previous owner just rewired it to an N2 (same schematic inside). 

Are there any drop in replacement bridges?  Or am I stuck with the Fulcrum Tremolo short of routing out for a Floyd Rose.

*EDIT* would this one work, sound better than the stock one?  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gotoh-GE-102TCK-Electric-Guitar-Tremolo-Cosmo-Black-/260870614394?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item3cbd19ad7a
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:46:56 AM by ajmidd12 »