Username: Password:

Author Topic: help IDing this 12 string George Washburn guitar?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline tokimasa

• View Profile
help IDing this 12 string George Washburn guitar?
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/2981364636.html
the kid says the serial number is n30620191260

any idea of what the guitar is?

ship of fools

Re: help IDing this 12 string George Washburn guitar?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Looks like a D10-12 but the serial number sounds kind of odd. But for his low price of $115.00 with case its sounds like a great deal as long as the neck is okay.ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
Awfully hard to tell from the crummy pics, but the "Martin" style headstock, volume knob and the rubber band capo make me think this is an older, maybe Japanese built Washburn.  Since it's a 12'er be very carefull re: the neck angle and string break over the saddle. 

Offline tokimasa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Since it's a 12'er be very carefull re: the neck angle and string break over the saddle.

What should I look for?

I am actually not expecting much out of this guitar. He says the pickups still work. Is the case worth $50?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
Yes, if it is in as good a shape as it appears in the picture.   Tom.   :) :)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
What should I look for?
I am actually not expecting much out of this guitar. He says the pickups still work. Is the case worth $50?

12 string guitars are subject to much more stress and tension due to the extra strings.  Therefore the neck wants to fold into the body after years of all that extra tension.  Manufacturers make 12'ers more robust than 6 strings but over time a lot of 12 string guitars will need a neck reset.  If the action is high and/or there is little saddle showing and there is very little strings break angle over the saddle then it's likely you've got a problem.  Another quick test, is to sight down the neck.  The neck should point at the top of the bridge.  A better way is to lay a straght edge on the fret board.  It should hit right at the edge of the bridge.  If the straight edge hits low on the bridge, then again you've probably got a problem.

Offline tokimasa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
Ok, the kid got back to me - he says it's a D29S-12 - looks like this guitar is over 20 years old. Was kind of a nice guitar, hard to tell if it's in decent shape from the pictures. Anyone own a D29S?