Username: Password:

Author Topic: Finally found one  (Read 3520 times)

ship of fools

Finally found one
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
Only to see that it has been modified.  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Washburn-D-51-Apache-Acoustic-Guitar-Dana-Bourgeois-/270987392337?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f181b7551
If the idiot had not put in a JDL bridge system it would have been worth the negotiations but he ruined what should have been a great beautiful guitar. What a shame.ship

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Finally found one
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
So is it not worth the 2100 now?  How much is it worth? Just curious as I'm broke.  Tom.   :) P.S.   I no I will not run across one in a yard sale, but you never no.   LOL.  Cant have to much knowledge  stored in your head.   :)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
This guitar has been discussed before.  It's also the second or third go around on EBay.  Even if mint the price is a bit high.  It's been lowered from the first time it appeared on my radar.

FWIW I don't consider the JDL a deal breaker.  The guitar is not a pre-war Martin.  I have a JDL on an old 12'er and it has done what it's supposed to do.  Guitar sounds great, top is stable and the JDL very likely kept the 12'er out of neck re-set territory.  Assuming all the geometry is kosher would I have put one in a Apache?  No way.  But if the price was right and in all other respects it passed muster I would not be bothered by the bridge doc add on.  In this case I don't think the price is right, JDL or not.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
Nice guitar, maybe the guitar needed the JDL bridge system . although he says he installs them in all his upper end guitars.  I personally would not unless the guitar had a top that needed fixing, has for making the guitar louder, i feel you buy a type guitar for a reason. why screw with it.

ship of fools

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
This is what he had to say when I asked him about it.

Hey Lou. When I got it it played perfectly but there was a slight lift of the bridge on one of the corners. Very very slight and it played amazing so I was going to leave it alone but I didn't want it to get worse. I ended up taking it to my luthier and had him reglue the bridge and install a JDL. I have a JDL on my 55 Gibson Country Western and it is monstrous. They are nice to have in dry climates to keep the bellies constant. I play the hell out of my guitars on stage and was planning on doing the same with this one but I found myself needing to thin the herd and since the Washburn has no pickup installed it is one of the ones that is more of a luxury. If it doesn't sell at this price though I will put a Fishman pickup in it and make it a keeper for the stage. Cheers

I am going to pass on this one.ship

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
Bridge doctor or not, these sound great. A master work by a master luthier...

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »
I am suprised that Bourgeois used the right half of the top.  It looks far from a piece of wood that would be on even a medium level guitar.

Were I to see this on the wall at Gruhn's, I wouldn't even give it a second glance as I moved to the next guitar in line----no matter who made it or who sold it.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

ship of fools

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
Well I am not a JDL lover I think they then to diminish the top vibration  ( deaden it ) with that screw holding the bridge down and besides you should see what he wants for shipping to Canada $275.00 I have had handbuilts that were cheaper in shipping from Miami and Texas both were only half the price including the insurance.
Hey Greg what are you seeing did I miss something else you have to remember that the tops are from one piece split in half, but I do agree with Pike Dana is a craftsman when he builds, but I think I prefer some of his older builds some of the newer ones are just a little to thin in sound for me.ship
Maybe I should have bought the one that I had an opportunity to buy from Mark.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
Were I to see this on the wall at Gruhn's, I wouldn't even give it a second glance as I moved to the next guitar in line
Unless you were to pick it up and play it. If it's anything like mine, and from reports I've gotten from others, you'd probably hear one of the best sounding spruce maple guitars available.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
I am suprised that Bourgeois used the right half of the top.  It looks far from a piece of wood that would be on even a medium level guitar.
I rather like the bearclaw.  Many players think bearclaw is a plus sound wise.  It always commands top dollar.  Here is what Dana has to say about it.

"Before leaving the spruces, I should mention bearclaw figure, or hazelficte-a delightful pattern in the grain occasionally occurring in all species of spruce. Bearclaw, like the curl in curly maple, is a rippling of the longitudinal fibers, which divides the surface of the wood into shimmering patterns. Unlike the even waves that usually occur in maple, bearclaw usually appears on asymmetrical or randomly broken patterns. This phenomenon almost always occurs in older trees that have dense, stiff grain structure and high sound velocity. Thus bearclaw is usually a reliable indicator of the better examples of tonewoods within any given species of spruce."

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
I have a hard time judging the "sound" of one "like"(dread vs. dread, 00 vs. 00, 12 fret vs. 12 fret )guitar while playing several in a "trial" (at the store) setting.  At a certain level, they all sound good and a few sound great---regardless of cost, maker, material or anything else.  That level, as far as cost is concerned, is lower and lower every year that the Chinese build instruments.

If I pick up a $500 oriental guitar it will probably sound good.  It will, however, most likely need a bit of "working on" until it PLAYS good.  Mass production seldom results in the quality control of individually finished instruments.  It's all depending on how much the manufacture is willing to spend on the fine points and detail of craftsmanship.

So, we are left at the top line instruments that leave the factory with no details left to chance.  Everything is super when it boards the FedEx truck.

Then they get to the store.  The ALL play super, they ALL sound great.

For my money I don't care what you call it-------bearclaw, horsehoof or dolphin flipper grain.  The guitar I walk through the front door with will have clear and straight grain on the top.

Anything else may SOUND as good to someone at one point in time, or even better at a given moment.  There are few instances in this world where you will find me to give a crap about the looks rather than the performance of ANYTHING.  But, when it comes to guitar tops, mine will be of a clear and straight grained wood.

:)
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa