Username: Password:

Author Topic: barre chords  (Read 19760 times)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: barre chords
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
Like I said, position the guitar correctly

I'm not at all trying to pick a fight here.  But your choice of language, even now is all about right and wrong.  You very obviously think that this classical posture is "right".  I could not play a simple I, IV, V cowboy chord progression holding a guiatr that way.  Way to many years of bad habits.  Give the classical posture a try, if it works have at it.  Whatever works is the bottom line. 

So, what does work for me?  Lets get back to the question, not that anyone is actually listening, but what the heck.  Assuming the guitar is set up properly my first suggestion is to relax.  Nothing binds things up faster than grabbing the neck in a death grip and trying to mash the strings into the fretboard.  Now here is a neat little excercise for whatever chord shape you are trying to master.

Slowly and carefully place all your fingers where you want them.  Gently strum the strings to make sure each string is fretted cleanly.  Use as little pressure as possible and take your time.  Once you have the chord fretted cleanly pull your fingers off the strings in one motion, just enough to release all the strings.  You want your fingers off the strings just a fraction of an inch.   Then again in one motion, put your fingers back on the strings and fret the chord.  Keep repeating this on/off motion.  Take your time, do it slowly, just focus on getting your fingers exactly where you want them.  As you get more comfortable and proficient, move your fingers farther away from the fret board, but always come back and pace your fingers in one motion.  Don't resort to hunting finger by finger.  What you want to be able to do is totally release the fretboard, drop your hands by your side and go right back to the chord shape.  This is a good excercise to build up a bit of strength, and more importantly muscle memory.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
We all know how Rocket likes to drill for the nerve, just wish he would do it without ridiculing my choice, I have never ridiculed his...
Dugly, you know in your heart that I love you (in a non-gay way of course!)
You also know in your heart that I don't give a squirt how anyone holds their guitars... if it works, it works!

It did occur to me that nobody has lit the fuse here in two years (or more) and it's been a downright boring read.
Does anyone remember how FUN this forum used to be?

A sense of humor goes pretty cheap these days... if anyone needs a new one, it's on me.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
I'm like Greg...would love to see Rocket share some of his licks...not gonna happen....

Dugly.......you do have it wrong this time. my friend.  I don't want to see Rocket share a damn thing.  By his own admission......"I can think of thousands of electric riffs... not one single acoustic riff... ".  So, what does a person that can't play a single f**king riff have any business commenting in the "acoustic" section of a forum.

He made that statement towards the end of this thread:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,17907.0.html

What I meant to  imply is that I want some proof of his professional status and the contracts that he has stated to have that prevent him from  referring to a widely popular "pop" song by the name under which it was recorded.   

The only "proof" that has been offered over the past years is a basket full of internet claims.  Well hell,  doesn't the internet "Truth Filter" weed out lies and fictitious claims???

Sorry folks, the only thing I can offer is the advice and opinions of a perpetual beginner that has been a rank amateur for 45 years.   It doesn't matter if I'm not worth a crap or arranging for Tony Enamel.........I don't claim to be a "professional musician". 

Wait a damn minute,  I made about six bucks with a harp at the taco stand in Castaic, California one night when I forgot my wallet and only had a Bb harp in my pocket.  Hell, I fed myself.........I guess I must be a PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But, I can still call the song "Hotel California".

;)
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
Rocket's guitar playing is quite excellent...

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
Greg told me to come over here to check out the hot chick with the guitar as an accessory to my man cave, but I found FIGHTING. An interesting read on this forum! Amazing!

Keep cool boys, don't let your panties get into a knot..  ;D

*Ryan  8)

Offline luvmyshiner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
In the past Rocket has posted videos of his playing and has posted video lessons.  Rockette has also posted a video of him playing professionally.  I'm not sure what the point of the personal attacks against him is.  Rocket's sense of humor has always been an acquired taste that many of us enjoy and, much like my own, many do not.  So be it.  For whatever reason Dugly was offended and felt the need to lash out.  From my perspective Rocket responded by trying to lighten the mood and apologizing in his way.  I have no problem with Rocket's sense of humor, and I have no desire to see this forum returned to its previous incarnation of hate filled rants and power trips because someone had a bad hair day.

And I also throw in with Keel on the classical posture.  For me it's not the right way.  I've tried it and for me it doesn't feel natural or comfortable.  That's just my opinion and I'll continue to advocate, as I always have, that what's right when it comes to playing guitar is what feels right.  Y'all go ahead and make the F chord however you want, I'll make it the way I like to.
. . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . .  Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas  1902

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
I think someone is still angry because I refused to haggle for my J58 FOUR YEARS AGO.

Seriously, 4-years is WAY too long to hold a minor grudge like that... might be useful to seek some therapy. I'll guess anger management is not the only issue highlighted here.

BTW, I still have it that J58 (somewhere).

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
(forehead slap)

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 07:06:53 AM »
""because someone had a bad hair day.""

Can't be me, as I don't have any hair. But, the best way to make a chord is the way that feels right to each individual. Heck, I don't even make a chord the same way every time.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:09 AM »
Heck, I don't even make a chord the same way every time.

Yeepers.  Depends on what came before and what's next.  Sometimes I grab a barre chord, using the thumb to fret the low E.  Sometmies a regular barre.  Same deal with basic cowboy chords.  Sometimes my thumb is positioned on the back of the fretboard, sometimes along the side, fretting the low E or just muting it.

And, FWIW Rocket is the real deal.  Serious guitar chops. 

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
You all with long skinny fingers are lucky, I have short fat fingers,  and can not wrap my thumb around and still use my other fingers to make a chord. But I can mute or deaden the big E with it.   It does not seem to matter how I hold my guitar I still make a lot of ( advanced harmonics) LOL.   Tom.   :)

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
You all with long skinny fingers are lucky, I have short fat fingers,  and can not wrap my thumb around and still use my other fingers to make a chord. But I can mute or deaden the big E with it.   It does not seem to matter how I hold my guitar I still make a lot of ( advanced harmonics) LOL.   Tom.   :)

Same here Tom.. I can make barre chords no problem, but wrapping my thumb around is a chore. Easier on the Tele because the nut width is small, but still a pain..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:13:42 PM by Junior88 »

Offline wn50 d10s12 h1260 ej200

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »
Hey,folks!Just my $0.02(CDN) worth here.I have friends who make others sit up and listen when they play.One was taught by assorted family members,no sheet music or formalities,the other had music theory and local pro lessons.One plays in the classical position ,the other holds it over his belly and rocks the guitar from slightly left to slightly right of centre.Neither barres the same,or the way I do.We all make it work,although they sure do make it look easier than I do.We all have different size and shape of hands,and I figure we've all adapted methods to maximize our digits' capabilities.We don't call right or wrong,and when asked,we show each other how we approach runs,riffs,etc.Sometimes,you shake your head and say"Wow,that's cool," and other times you look and say"You're so weird."Then we drink another beer and hash out what to do next.I don't post often because I'm long-winded and a horrible typist.Most of the players I've ever met are nice people,and I'm pretty sure that no matter how far we progress,we never stop learning,but it should ALWAYS be FUN!Peace-out,and again-peace!
wn50,d10s12,h1260,ej200

Offline steve206

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
Jeezareeza,,,am I glad to see some honest to goodness, roughouse going on.  Most of these folks have been trading ideas this way, for years.

For some of them, this is how it is done.

the words on the screen often take on a life of their own, without any foreknowledge from the typist. 

I hope to one day visit here and see that the Dreadman is available for questions.  I mean, the Ship is back.  Where is Squint?  What happened to the personalities?