Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10SCE string gauges  (Read 2427 times)

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
D10SCE string gauges
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
Just lately been thinking maybe I should try going up in gauge to hopefully get more tone and volume. Can anyone tell me if they use medium gauge strings on the above model? and what the payoff is, as opposed to say D'addario custom light gauge strings, which I currently use. Highest priority is that the guitar's design will withstand the higher tension sefely.
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky - Hendrix.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: D10SCE string gauges
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:28 AM »
Can't speak directly to the D10, but in general going up to Mediums should not create any tension issues.  Assuming you are now using 12's even the set up should remain the same.  Maybe a tweak of the truss rod.  If you are going from 10's or 11's to 13's, then you'll likely need to adjust the set up of the guitar, in particular the truss rod.  Depending on what you are looking for, you might also want to try a set of strings with a heavier bottom gauge.  These are called Bluegrass strings.  You'll get more low end oomph w/o the high end tension.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
I have 5 versions of the D10's.   I change between  11  &  12,  no problems. I would suggest trying Ernie Ball Earthwoods once to see what you think. To me much fuller tone, even better than Elixer's.   Just my .02 on strings LOL, you no how string threads can get.  Tom.   :)

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
you might also want to try a set of strings with a heavier bottom gauge.  These are called Bluegrass strings.  You'll get more low end oomph w/o the high end tension.

D'Addario EJ19

I ordered a set a long time ago before I started using J16's on everything.

I'll dig them up and give 'em a whirl on my D10S.

It's a great time for them.  I've been trying the light bottom/heavy tops (EXL140) on a Partscaster this week.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
I found the strings AND the guitar!!!!

The D10 hadn't been touched in a few years so I gave it some attention and got a bit anal on the string change:

The neck relief was the exact same (measured from the 7th to 12th frets) with a set of .011s as it was after I went to the light top/heavy bottoms.  The truss rod was fine with no adjustments.

When I installed the ivory bridge I had left it a bit high.  I lowered it since the strings were off. 

The bass nut slots were way too skinny for the heavy strings.  Not having a fat nut file, I used a bit of what would be excess string as a saw to size the low E slot.

They work great for finger picked acoustic blues stuff.  The bottom booms.  It's too much for campfire strumming, but I think dreads are duds for campfire music anyway.

I've used for a couple weeks and have been quite pleased with the results.  It gives close to a jumbo---without dealing with an (IMHO) oversized whale and the high strings bend with ease. 

If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa